Talk

Advanced search

UK term time hols - attitude when you are obvs on hols and not in school

(22 Posts)
nonsense0name Tue 16-Jun-15 13:32:55

Sorry this is another term time hols thread....

When you are on holiday have you had the sense that you shouldn't be there - i.e. your kids should be in school but you are obviously on the beach having fun...or whatever you are doing.

Surely a family type hotel/activity place welcomes the business and if you are on hols in term time that is not their concern....

We are thinking of a holiday next July which will be term time, outside the UK I am sure no-one would even notice but at home given the massive press coverage here - have you experienced any comments/negativity...

Or am I being totally over-sensitive (which is highly likely blush)

Please don't flame me about whether one should/shouldn't take a term time holiday...I totally see the argument but this is slightly different IYSWIM

Bunbaker Wed 17-Jun-15 06:55:45

Scottish schools finish in June, and private schools finish at the beginning of July so it wouldn't be that obvious.

RitaFairenough Wed 17-Jun-15 06:57:28

I don't think holiday staff will care one jot. Enjoy your hols smile

Floralnomad Wed 17-Jun-15 07:00:58

With the amount of people that HE now I can't see why anybody would notice . We HE and have never had any issues .

Artandco Wed 17-Jun-15 07:11:58

Mine finish school in 10 days. So we are def going away in July.

I don't think they care at all, all schools have various holidays around the year depending on country or private/ state so that leaves it pretty much that some child somewhere is on holiday

farmerslife Wed 17-Jun-15 07:29:03

Umm I do feel that we have to explain ourselves a bit, we go on holiday in the UK in term time but usual when the Scottish families have broken up so we are not totally on our own !

nonsense0name Wed 17-Jun-15 10:00:44

Thank you - I really appreciate you replying smile

Artandco - jealous that you are finished in 10days...summer hols still feel too far away

Branleuse Wed 17-Jun-15 10:05:38

its never ever been an issue. Noone has ever said anything

Artandco Wed 17-Jun-15 10:07:29

Holidays until 12th September also. Can't wait! The school runs drive us mad! We can work easier without them as don't have to have one of us free at 9am, 12pm and 3pm.

mummymeister Wed 17-Jun-15 10:36:56

we have to take ours out of school in term time due to our work. we have had negative comments in the UK occasionally and have always just explained why. if you go abroad, no one cares.

SavoyCabbage Wed 17-Jun-15 10:40:49

I got stopped by the police once, in the city centre.

People sometimes asks, on checkouts and stuff. They are just making conversation though.

Once we had an entire Roman museum to ourselves. The guides took us round. It was great.

tilder Wed 17-Jun-15 11:51:42

Am afraid I would judge. I appreciate school holidays etc vary, but if I see school aged children out and about during term time with their parents, then yes I judge. I wouldn't say anything though.

Re home ed, I have no idea how many people do this. Again, none of my business.

I do have a strong disapproval of term time holidays though.

IssyStark Wed 17-Jun-15 11:56:11

N. Irish schools finish at the end of June as do Scottish schools. Private schools also finish earlier, so it's only state schools in England and wales which are still operating in July.

AdoraBell Wed 17-Jun-15 12:07:17

We've had peope ask us "shouldn't they be in school?". Most peope are confused when I say their school is on holiday and if they are openly judgemental I don't bother telling them we live abroad.

Unless the whole system through out the UK is standardized then most people wouldn't know if your DCs are missing school for a holiday or simply broken up earlier than elsewhere so I woudn't worry about.

nonsense0name Wed 17-Jun-15 14:59:29

I will have to steer clear of tilder grin

Unfortunately I am a worrier and would be mortified if the police stopped and asked me blush

Thanks for letting me have your thoughts

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 17-Jun-15 15:00:55

We break up in a couple of weeks so always holiday in early July - never had any comments/looks that I'm aware of.

SavoyCabbage Wed 17-Jun-15 22:14:49

That's only happened once and it was in a city centre. I too was mortified as my oldest piped up that she her school was on her summer holiday (true) as it was January and she was wearing a hat, scarf and gloves and sounded like she was taking the piss. grin

Heels99 Thu 18-Jun-15 09:32:33

I would assume private school with longer holidays.

Sconejamcream Sun 28-Jun-15 07:49:10

Unless it is taking kids out of gcse years, go for it! I'm a firm believer in quality family time which for us is how our holidays are.

EdithWeston Sun 28-Jun-15 08:05:06

You really are overthinking this, as there is no way the police are going to interested in dozens of children at a resort, once the holidays have begun.

They don't care that much individual term dates, just the start of the season which is early July (Scotland, NI + private).

prettybird Sun 28-Jun-15 21:12:11

Glasgow schools finished last Wednesday lunchtime. Think Ayrshire schools finished on Tuesday.

I also suspect quite a few families left on their holidays the weekend before hmm. I know ds was pissed off at me 'cos I made him go into school right to the bitter end grin

nonsense0name Tue 30-Jun-15 14:12:07

Thanks again for your replies and yes I agree I am over thinking this!

Apparently ALL the kids in my DC's classes go on hols during term time, will chill out about it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now