Talk

Advanced search

Would Blue Stone be any good for a 10 year old?

(17 Posts)
clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 02-Jun-15 13:47:25

Thinking of trying this instead of CP's - just wondering if our DS age 10 would fine it too boring, young?

Lolimax Tue 02-Jun-15 17:48:47

Hi. We took 2 boys 16 and 11 last year and they loved it. Not as big as CP but pool is good, lots of bookable activities onsite and there is lots to do not far away....folly farm (look it up, not a farm!), Oakwood and Tenby with fab beaches.

Iloveonionchutney Tue 02-Jun-15 17:56:21

Yep fab for all ages, we live not far away and I would second folly farm too we go a few times a year (it's more of a zoo now). There's also Heatherton world of activities nearby with loads for his age group.
Tenby for the ice cream parlour is a must too.

clottedcreamteawithscone Wed 03-Jun-15 14:14:50

It's showing �800 for 3 of us for October...so other than the pool is there anything else for free?

We went last week with 9 and 11 year olds, the indoor adventure centre is free but they felt it was a bit young for them. They loved the pools, we went every day, loved cycling round the virtually traffic free site, other than that we went out though, didn't do any paid for activities.

clottedcreamteawithscone Wed 03-Jun-15 15:01:47

great sounds very much like CP's what accommodation shoudl we book only 3 of us but dont want bunk beds

Iloveonionchutney Wed 03-Jun-15 16:43:51

A Caldey lodge is 2 bedrooms and plenty big enough. I've not stayed in anything else but all the accommodation is a really good standard there.

We had a Ramsay lodge, it was 2 bed (1 double 1 twin) but pretty big, two ensuite bathrooms, large living/kitchen area etc.

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Tue 09-Jun-15 10:42:58

We went last year with an 8&11yr old. Tbh, they were very bored. It's not at all like CP. The idea is to use it like a base and visit the local area. The pool is good but open to the public so busy at school holiday times. Accom is good but the activity centre is really geared towards children under 8. I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for a CP type break with the sort of activities on offer for a 10yr old.

clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 09-Jun-15 11:18:35

ah ok that's definately put me off!!! Yes we like CP's but wanted to try somewhere else similar...I wont be paying �800 to use as a base so a no for us then - thank you for being honest

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Tue 09-Jun-15 11:24:37

Yes, I know lots of people say they are similar, and maybe if you just have toddlers who only like the pool and soft play then it is. But if you have older kids who enjoy stuff like the high ropes or even just the crazy golf then it just doesn't compare. It is very close to the beautiful Tenby beaches though which I think is why people like it.

Yes, we very much only used it as a base, the swimming pool was the only facility we really used. My DCs do lots of adventurous stuff with Scouts and Brownies so weren't bothered about doing it on holiday as well, we wanted days out as we'd never been to Pembrokeshire before. They loved the pool and the places we went on day trips to. We've only been to CPs once, when they were 4 and 2 and can't really remember much about it apart from the pool.

Heels99 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:00:09

It doesn't compare with cp. most of the website pics are of the local area rather than the site itself. Pool not as good as centreparcs. I found it a it like being in holiday on a housing estate.

I guess the reason people compare them is the set-up, car free, Mon-Fri or Fri-Mon bookings etc, the fact that they've got the shops, spa, restaurants on site etc. My DCs loved it but they have no experience (that they remember) of CPs to compare it to.

forago Tue 09-Jun-15 14:27:02

We go to Pembrokeshire every year with a 10, 7 and 5y old and they have a whale of a time. We pay £5/600 a week for a cottage for 5 people in July and there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. Not sure i'd bother with BT personally as it's quite inland and the really nice places imo are on te coast. Pembrokshire itslef is a great place for a holiday with that age I'd say - although we always go in July and have had good weather, I guess in October you may need to mitigate for some rainy days and have some indoor activities planned? I think you can go to BT for the day?

ClareAbshire Tue 09-Jun-15 14:35:45

Been with young toddler age kids but agree maybe not great for older children.

Madcats Thu 11-Jun-15 10:57:55

Before we had kids we used to go to CP with adult friends until one of them pleaded for us to rent cottages instead.

We've been going to Bluestone since DD (yr3) was a toddler. We tend to go for either the long weekend or 4 day breaks and we enjoy that. I don't think we'd want to stay for a whole week and we do tend to organise our days on the basis that we'll do things on site at the start and end of the day and spend the rest of the time out and about (primarily) on the coast (wrapped up well in Spring and Autumn). (Particularly if we can combine it with an INSET day) we've always found it much cheaper than CP so have gone to Bluestone instead.

DD LOVES swimming so we reckon on at least one trip to the Blue Lagoon each day (free). I think the Adventure Centre was a giant sports hall when we first visited, but it is great for cold, wet days. For older children there is crazy golf (free) and for £ there is a climbing wall/high ropes etc and a room with games machines etc. (with a cafe/wifi for us) that also keeps her quiet for an hour or 2.

There are quite a lot of outdoor activities that we haven't tried yet. For 8-12 year olds there is archery/laser shooting, high rope courses and zip-wires in the forest, canoeing/raft-building etc. DD found the activities for younger children a bit lame (but it did give us a chance to visit the spa).

Offsite we've recently discovered a great little riding place at Marros Farm with an indoor school near Pendine who happily offer ad hoc lessons for all abilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now