Talk

Advanced search

Yeovil - tell me what there is to do there please?

(25 Posts)
clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 26-May-15 08:20:02

no kids just me, hub and m-in-law...what things can we do, visit etc..

Lj8893 Tue 26-May-15 08:45:34

In Yeovil town itself?! I would avoid to be honest! However, some of the surrounding villages have some lovely village pubs. Or Sherborne has a pretty high street and beautiful abbey and castle.

WickleWockle Tue 26-May-15 08:49:56

Yeovil is the most depressing town in the UK. Pretty much all surrounding towns and villages, however, are lovely.

clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 26-May-15 09:15:16

ok ... where should we stay outside of this area and what would you recommend to do please? My MiL loves visiting gardens, musuems etc...

BabyGanoush Tue 26-May-15 09:16:40

Visit Sherborne instead! Lovely little town for wandering around. Do a country walk? Lots of nice pubs in the countryside there.

Avoid Yeovil!

Lj8893 Tue 26-May-15 09:25:16

What made you think of Yeovil in the first place?

Sherborne is lovely, the new castle is lovely to walk around with beautiful grounds. The old castle is nice to have a look at.
The abbey is pretty magnificent.
Just outside Yeovil is montacute house (national trust) which is lovely.

clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 26-May-15 13:06:10

Other people had suggested it!

Lj8893 Tue 26-May-15 13:44:59

Really?? I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would suggest it as a tourist destination!

OhItsYouAgain Wed 27-May-15 20:37:58

Forde Abbey is a good place to visit - the gardens are nice.
If you have a car and wanted to see the sea - Lyme Regis is lovely and only about half an hour away.

Dowser Wed 27-May-15 22:11:42

Yeovil? Really? Not good in my opinion!

It does have a cinema I suppose!

BikeRunSki Wed 27-May-15 22:14:54

Lyte's Cary and Stourhead are not too far away for gardens etc. Both National Trust. Yeovil itself is a dive.

Sherborne, Castle Cary nicer for staying and pottering.

DosDuchas Wed 27-May-15 22:15:48

there is always some helicopter museum nearby iirc

DosDuchas Wed 27-May-15 22:16:41

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g190760-Activities-Yeovil_Somerset_England.html

DosDuchas Wed 27-May-15 22:18:45

you could do a trip to Salisbury, Maiden Castle, down to the tankmuseum in Dorset and maybe even to Moors Valley?

DosDuchas Wed 27-May-15 22:19:16

DItto Bridport and the jurassic coast not far

nilbyname Wed 27-May-15 22:21:28

Yeovil is a pretty standard going down town.

Barrington Court is a NT place, then have lunch in the Old BUtchers cafe in Shepton Beauchamp is amazing, or the Kitchen at the Wharf in Langport.

Ham hill is a great place for a walk, it has a pub, which is a brilliant location, but the food is just ok. The masons arms in oddcombe is lovely for food and has a nice beer garden.

Archer26 Wed 27-May-15 22:21:57

Do you/DH/DS/mil like cars?

http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com

Me and DH spent a happy few hours here. But then we like cars.

Kids playground too.

Archer26 Wed 27-May-15 22:23:06

Ahh just re read your post. No kids so kids playground not much use unless mil likes slides.....

nilbyname Wed 27-May-15 22:25:19

The Lord poulett arms in Hinton St George is a gastro pub with rooms and it has a lovely garden. Rooms are very nice. Hinton is a lovely village.

West lambrook has amazing gardens an house, you could go there and then into Langport for lunch as before.

JacobWrestling Wed 27-May-15 22:33:01

Maybe a bit further north, to Cheddar / Wells / Glastonbury? Lots around there. The Yeo Valley canteen is great.

Lj8893 Wed 27-May-15 22:52:10

Lyme Regis is further than half an hour away from Yeovil! There are closer beaches than Lyme.

Some good suggestions for places to visit but you could stay somewhere much nicer and still visit all those places. As somebody who lives 5 miles from Yeovil, has grown up in the vicinity and went to college there, avoid avoid avoid!

dancewiththetreedoug Sun 21-Jun-15 22:17:23

I grew up in a village just outside of Yeovil and am totally baffled as to why someone suggested it as a tourist destination confused
As others have said though, plenty to do in the surrounding areas grin

Panicmode1 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:24:37

Drive to somewhere else wink

I went to school in Sherborne and then my folks moved closer to Taunton and Yeo-vile as it is known, and have spent the past 30 years avoiding it whenever possible!

There are loads of wonderful NT houses and gardens around - many of which have been mentioned, and I think the previous poster may be thinking of East Lambrook where the manor and Margery Fish garden is, (not West); the Rose and Crown pub is opposite and is OK, but would defo second Hinton St George for pub/stay.

Chillipops Sun 21-Jun-15 22:25:00

Yeovil? Yo-vile more like!! Sherborne lovely. Coast lovely. But Yeovil? Bleurgh!

TiggeryBear Thu 02-Jul-15 22:25:26

Tried really hard to think of something positive to say about Yeovil, but I'm afraid that I can't. As others have said, there are a few good places to visit in the local area, Weymouth is a relatively nice seaside town, Sherborne Castle is lovely, Yeovil's not too far from Glastonbury. Haynes Motor museum is a nice way to spend a day (if you like cars of course), Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton/Ilchester is also good. There are many nice pubs in the villages surrounding Yeovil. Hope you have a lovely time whatever you choose to do. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now