London in a weekend - shows suitable for 7 and 4 yr olds.

(30 Posts)
chainedtothedesk Thu 14-May-15 12:12:13

Hi

Planning a trip to London. Would like to fit in a show. Thinking Matilda or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Any suggestions of alternatives or reviews on whether one is more suitable than the other for a 7 and 4 yo.

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
cestlavielife Thu 14-May-15 12:19:42

lion king

newname12 Thu 14-May-15 12:31:25

Many theatres have age guides on their websites.

Most shows are listed as unsuitable for U7's, presumably because of long running times and potential disruptions.

just checked- Matilda is 6 and up. Same for Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

I can't see you not being allowed in, but you might be expected to leave if the 4 yo gets restless.

Check the Royal Opera House, they sometimes run Ballets and shows designed for younger children.

InterOuta Thu 14-May-15 12:32:39

The railway children at Kings cross?

ArcheryAnnie Thu 14-May-15 12:51:45

Also check the Polka in Wimbledon and the Lyric in Hammersmith. The Lyric is brilliant, a few mins from the tube station (zone 2), is well-renowned and has a good kids' programme.

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 12:54:37

There are usually children's shows on in London, check online. I think a four year old is too young for lion king, charlie and matilda.

youngestisapyscho Thu 14-May-15 12:54:59

Remember that the big popular shows are booked way in advance, especially weekend shows... check availability before confirming any travel dates.

TengoSueno Thu 14-May-15 12:55:22

The unicorn theatre run shows specifically for children. Check with them what is on.

I would echo what others have said about ages. They can and do check with younger looking kids.

youngestisapyscho Thu 14-May-15 13:44:26

The Lyric in Hammersmith are showing Bugsy Malone, and much cheaper than West end theatres.

OpposableThumbs Thu 14-May-15 13:51:16

The Gruffalo is showing at the Lyric in Shaftsbury Avenue for July and August.

BooChunky Thu 14-May-15 14:19:18

Lion King... My four year old would love it.

worldgonecrazy Thu 14-May-15 14:25:06

If you do Matilda, don't waste money on the special tea run by the hotel nearby. It's rubbish and doesn't live up to the hype.

mary21 Thu 14-May-15 19:38:18

Check out off west end , you can specify children's shows in the search

AtomicDog Thu 14-May-15 19:46:54

Something like this at the National Maritime Museum might suit more?
Not sure when it finishes though...

StepfauxWife Thu 14-May-15 19:47:56

Agree it's with moving away from the west end. The Little Angel Theatre in Islington has some lovely children's plays.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 14-May-15 22:05:40

I don't think they let under-sixes in that one, Atomic, as it's pretty interactive in a way that's beyond the tinies.

AtomicDog Thu 14-May-15 22:11:20

Ah, sorry- mine are a wee bit older.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Thu 14-May-15 22:13:20

Room on the Broom is fab. Not sure if it's still on though, think it was at the Lyric?

chainedtothedesk Fri 15-May-15 15:46:15

Thanks so much for your help on this. I didn't know where to start looking tbh so just googled the two big ones that I knew of!

I think my 4yo would sit through a show. I was hoping to go for something that we all would enjoy rather than something that is really only specifically aimed at kids if you see what I mean?

Are the gruffalo and room on the broom not a bit short?

OP’s posts: |
LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 15-May-15 17:40:59

Room on the Broom was about an hour I think? I enjoyed it as much as the children did!

helloalll Fri 15-May-15 17:52:17

Oh god - please don't take your 4 year old to the thing at the national maritime museum. It was great but DS who's 6 is still slightly traumatised by it!
Matilda is fantastic but agree that 4 is too young really.

AtomicDog Fri 15-May-15 23:50:29

Oh really hello? umm... perhaps we'll leave that then. Was it really scary?

Heels99 Sat 16-May-15 08:45:46

The gruffalo isn't very good unfortunately. Don't waste your money.

Moleyjay Sat 16-May-15 08:50:40

I took DS when he was 4 to see Charlie. He was a massive fan of the films and the book so really knew the story line. There were lots of other similar sized kids although I was a bit worried about the age restriction thing. Nothing scary or inappropriate though.

helloalll Sat 16-May-15 12:11:07

Atomic- it was really good and DD who's nearly 8 loved it. DS sort of enjoyed it in a terrified way! It is a bit different but in a good way! Lots of darkness and running around trying to escape etc so depends what your kids are like!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in