North Devon at Easter?

(8 Posts)
TheRestofmylifeiswaiting Thu 05-Mar-15 10:45:00

Booked for a week staying in apartments at Watermouth Castle. Sounds fun staying there but need some days or afternoons out. Have a 8 yr old, 4.5 yr old and 17 month old. 17m old needs long lunch sleep and hates sleeping anywhere but cot! Any good ideas for half days out not far from Watermouth? And for rainy days? We will probably try and cope with lack of toddler sleep and have a couple of full days out - what should be top of our list? Will everywhere be hideously packed at Easter?

OP’s posts: |
TheRestofmylifeiswaiting Thu 05-Mar-15 21:10:17

Evening bump smile

Ferguson Thu 05-Mar-15 23:12:33

Hi - (you've been waiting patiently)

When our DS was young we took him to Watermouth Castle for a birthday outing (can't remember exactly how old) which was very enjoyable. From home in South Devon, it was quite a long drive, but worth it.

I guess most places will be busy at Easter, assuming the weather is reasonable. You will be on the edge of Exmoor, with plenty of lovely villages (good cream teas), some rugged coastline and moorland hills.

It is very easy to find places on Google maps and Street View (which I notice has been GREATLY speeded up, and easier to 'get around') but I'll offer a few ideas:

www.lynton-rail.co.uk/

www.northdevon.com/Lynton-Lynton-Barnstaple-Railway/details/?dms=3&venue=4334968

www.bidefordrailway.co.uk/line-history/

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court/

www.visit-exmoor.co.uk/exmoor-tourism

Ferguson Thu 05-Mar-15 23:17:04

. . . and this is a nice place too:

www.marwoodhillgarden.co.uk/

DevonMummy1 Fri 06-Mar-15 16:08:11

Hi,

Have you had a look on the Mumsnet Devon site. There are lots of listings of things to do and places to visit on there

smile

TheRestofmylifeiswaiting Sat 07-Mar-15 17:36:27

Hi Ferguson and Devonmummy thanks so much for the replies. Some brilliant links there Ferguson, I think I better borrow a baby rucksack carrier for the 17m so we can make the most of all this lovely scenery, railway kids will love and the last link you sent looks lovely and possibly not too busy/well known either? Devonmummy I didn't think of the MN local site as my own local site is so quiet but off to check it out. Really looking forward to our holiday now esp since spring is in the air today and fingers crossed weather is ok in a month's time!

BrieAndChilli Sat 07-Mar-15 17:44:39

MIL lives in ilfracombe so know the area well.
The tunnels beach in Ilfracombe is nice although shingle but has a tidal pool so safer for kids and small so less likely to lose site of them. The cafe there has a soft play and big wooden pirate ship.
There is a new skate place at mullacott cross, it does roller discos in the morning and you can take your own scooters and skateboards in the afternoon and they put out ramps and cones eyc. Has a cafe and small soft play.
Coombe Martin dinosaur park is good for a few hours
Bicclescoombe park is nice on a sunny day, has a little tea room, ponds and paths as well as play park. They often hae free tennis and swing ball on their tennis courts in the school holidays

TheRestofmylifeiswaiting Sun 08-Mar-15 08:03:34

Thanks BrieandChilli! Some great on the doorstep suggestions, thank you. Tunnels beach sounds perfect for little ones!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in