Things to do with kids in Corwall.

(12 Posts)
LookingGoodFeelingGreat Thu 19-Feb-15 14:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Ferguson Fri 20-Feb-15 23:31:40

Boscastle is an interesting village, with valley walks. Plenty of King Arthur history in the area I guess. Also mining, tin and/or copper, and famous slate quarries at Delabole (a few miles south).

There may be some pumping mine engines 'in steam' in the area. The new series of Poldark will have been shown, so there may be holiday 'spin offs' from that.

Not very far to Bodmin Moor and Jamaica Inn (Daphne du Maurier, famous book and films). You can probably still trace the routes of railways in the area, if you get a 2-1/2inch Ordnance Survey map.

There may be a heritage steam line within reach (I'll come back if I find out); further away, in Devon (my 'patch') are the Paignton to Dartmouth, and Dart Valley railways, and also Morwelham Victorian industry site. Crossing the Tamar Bridge is spectacular, and you see Brunel's railway bridge. (But you may not want to travel that far.)

Plenty of National Trust houses and gardens. Further away, St Michael's Mount at Penzance, and on the Lizard Peninsula Goonhilly satellite tracking station does tours.

Getting there, if you use the slower A30 A303 routes (and not M4 M5) you probably go past Stonehenge, and also near Crofton Pumping Station. But of course, you may prefer Motorways and get as quick as possible!

I'll come back with links sometime.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 21-Feb-15 13:45:00

If you are travelling down via the A303, a good food stop is Wayne's Bistro near Yeovil. Much better food than Little Chef's etc. also right by Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm Museum, if children are in to planes. There is an early version of Concorde there, and also a very good interactive experience on an aircraft carrier.

Another good place to have a stop is the Hawk Conservancy just outside Andover. They have the most amazing bird flying displays. The cafe there also does reasonable food.

There is also Longleat Safari park near Warminster.

timeforacheckup Sat 21-Feb-15 13:48:17

We enjoy the Eden Project and the plethora of National Trust properties. Newquay Zoo is nice to visit as well.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 21-Feb-15 14:29:12

We like Padstow and its beaches. Has many restaurants, although we have eaten at Pescadou rather than Rick Steins
The beach at Bedruthan Steps is good, although there are a number of steep steps to get to it, and you have to keep an eye on tide times.
Beaches at Bude are also good, as is Woolacombe, but that is further into Devon.
We live in Devon and love walking on Dartmoor. You will be closer to Bodmin Moor.
Don't know if you are into geocaching but there are many caches to find in the area

serin Sun 22-Feb-15 20:48:43

Tintagel

festivals

www.visitcornwall.com/things-to-do

Ours liked crabbing, paddling in the river at Boscastle, walking over to St Michaels mount (bit of a trek from Tintagel but good for a day out), picnics and visiting the National Trust properties.

Methe Sun 22-Feb-15 20:50:47

If you're in to gardens then The LostGardens of Heligan are wonderful.

BikeRunSki Sun 22-Feb-15 20:54:28

If you go down the A303 the Haynes Motor Museum at Sparkford is excellent. £££ to get in mind.

zipzap Sun 22-Feb-15 21:31:42

My dc adored the lost gardens of heligan but the youngest found it a long trek back up from the bottom when he was tired (as a not very sporty 4 yr old) and even ds1 (very sporty never stops running 7 yr old) began to find the long climb a bit tiring and he never admits to being tired!!

They also loved playing on the beaches (porthtowan was our local one and very nice, not one of the big touristy ones but a nice size, some sand, some pebbles, rock pools etc, also a nice cafe/restaurant on the edge of the beach, or a chippie if you just wanted chips on the beach, and a surf hire place.

Mevagissey on the south coast was nice to wander around and there was a harbour not too far away that had big old ships in which ws good to see.

Ferguson Mon 23-Feb-15 19:28:13

Here's a bit more:

Railways:
www.steamrailwaylines.co.uk/south_west.htm

www.bodminrailway.co.uk/

www.cornwalls.co.uk/attractions/railways/

If I think of anything else, I'll come back.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Feb-15 19:52:58

Not strictly Cornwall, but the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth is fantastic. You can get the ferry there from Cawsand which is in Cornwall.

My dc also really liked Cotehele House and mill near Saltash.

Monkey Sanctuary near Looe.

Eden Project.

Camel Trail in Padstow (you can hire bikes and trailers).

AliMonkey Fri 27-Feb-15 00:21:34

We've stayed in Newquay area mostly, but things north of there so not too far from you that have been the biggest hits have been Crealy Adventure Park and cycling the Camel Trail (if you start at Wadebridge and go inland, you miss the worst of the crowds and can eg cycle to the Bodmin railway and so include steam train ride - not as scenic as Padstow bit but worth it as much quieter and slightly downhill on way home!). Also lots of good National Trust places on the way, eg Montacute House, Killerton, Tyntesfield

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in