Talk

Advanced search

Sheffield - Public Transport

(14 Posts)
gunnsgirl Wed 28-Jan-15 19:37:06

Anyone here from Sheffield?

I'm route planning at the moment. Hoping to go the Indoor Athletics at the EIS on February 14th.

Can anyone tell me how far this is from where you can catch a coach back to London? I think called Meadowhall... Or is it easier to catch the train back to Kings Cross?

Many thanks

issynoho Wed 28-Jan-15 19:41:05

EIS about a mile from Meadowhall. Prob a bus that links or not too ££ in a taxi.

Train would mean going back into Sheffield from Mhall station.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Jan-15 20:32:19

You can walk from Meadowhall.
I think the tram might go down there too.

PrincessOfChina Wed 28-Jan-15 20:34:00

You could walk to Meadowhall from there. Or take the tram nearby to Meadowhall or back to the station for the train.

Meadowhall is closer than the train station.

gunnsgirl Wed 28-Jan-15 20:58:29

Wonderful... Thanks. Coach it is then, Meadowhall to London Victoria.

My son has been invited to compete at the British Indoor Championships there. I don't drive and I'd really like to go and watch. Route planning isn't easy when you've never been to a town before. Very grateful for your advice.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Jan-15 20:59:05

Sheffield Journey Planner

You can get scream from Meadowhall to EIS. You want the Don Valley stop.

Meadowhall Interchange is where all coaches, buses, trams and buses go. It's a massive station and tbh by the time you've walked from the coach bit to the tram bit you could be half way to the EIS, but I totally understand that you might not be that confident about walking round an unfamiliar city. It's not a particularly nice end of town.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Jan-15 20:59:46

Scream???!

a tram!

Katz Wed 28-Jan-15 21:00:19

Super tram from meadowhell to eis

Katz Wed 28-Jan-15 21:01:48

If you do get the train, theRes a tram from the station to EIS

gunnsgirl Wed 28-Jan-15 21:44:16

I've just booked hotel for the Friday night - and worked out how to get there from the coach station. All seems very walkable and EIS too for the Saturday.

Next question. Any recommendations for somewhere to eat evening meal around there?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 28-Jan-15 21:52:47

I work near EIS and lots of colleagues use the gym there. You can get the train from Kings Cross to Meadowhall, it'll be much quicker but also more expensive. Near the EIS there's a place called Centertainment (google it) with a Cineworld, bowling alley and stacks of chain-type restaurants where you can eat in the evenings. It's just opposite Sheffield Arena. There's also a Table Table gastro pub at Arena Square that does ok food. However, as there's an event on at EIS, plus Valentine's Day, you'd be better off booking a table in advance, wherever you eat. All these places are just a 5-10 minute walk from EIS. I assume your hotel is one of those near to EIS too?

Good luck to your DS in his competition, btw smile.

gunnsgirl Wed 28-Jan-15 21:59:58

Yes, it's the IBIS Budget on Attercliffe Common.

My weekend in Sheffield is taking shape now. smile

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 28-Jan-15 22:05:35

I work very close to there, the hotel is set about halfway between EIS and Centertainment and only a few minutes' walk from either.

AliceMum09 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:17:03

I'd use the tram to get between the Meadowhall interchange and the EIS. It's not a nice walk (all main roads and dual carriageways) and walking will take at least half an hour.

Trains from Sheffield go into St Pancras, if you want to get on the line that goes into Kings Cross (although I know they are next door to each other, so it doesn't really matter which station you arrive into) you'd need to get the train from Meadowhall to Doncaster and get on the east Coast main line there.

Meadowhall interchange is not massive at all. It probably takes about a minute to walk from the far train platform, past the tram stop and down to the buses!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: