Talk

Advanced search

Mon-Friday self catering holiday in Cornwall, best place to look and on a budget.

(13 Posts)
Ieirswnllyd Sat 10-Jan-15 20:44:03

Trying to find a budget price cottage or apartment in cornwall for a family of 4, but I can't find anything. Most of them are 7 nights minimum during August. We are on a budget of about £350 max for the 4 nights. Any ideas where I can look? We ideally want to be within 10 miles from Saint Ives or Penzance.

AliceMum09 Sat 10-Jan-15 21:39:21

Would you consider a caravan, or potentially even worse, a Haven caravan?!

They do Mon-Fri breaks and there is a site called Rivere Sands just outside Hayle near St Ives. Haven holidays are my idea of a nightmare, we just use the sites as a base to explore the area but that one is quite a nice small site. We went not last summer but the one before, and would go back.

Ieirswnllyd Sat 10-Jan-15 21:57:46

Thanks for your reply but above our budget sadly. At the moment I can only find premier inn within our budget but that means spending a fortune on food once there. I can't believe how expensive things have gone or is it just me expecting to much?

AliceMum09 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:38:55

No, it's not just you! The summer before our caravan holiday we paid close to £1000 for a week in August for a small 2-bed holiday cottage in Marazion. Self-catering of course, and then we also added on overnight stays at a Premier Inn at Bristol Cribbs Causeway for either end of the week so it cost a small fortune (we stayed at the Premier Inn to break up the journey from Sheffield, and I'm glad we had it booked for the return journey because we left Marazion at 9:45am and it took until 7pm just to get to Bristol - bad luck with the weather and an accident - not us - on the A30!). With careful planning you can go abroad for the same money.

I'd go for the Premier Inn option. At least the breakfast there is good value!

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 10-Jan-15 22:41:56

Why don't you buy a tent and go camping wink

Ieirswnllyd Sat 10-Jan-15 22:48:19

alice oh gosh that sounds like a long drive. Yes, your right about the breakfast...I think it's our only option tbh.

iam DD has SEN so impossible for us to stay in a tent.

AliceMum09 Sat 10-Jan-15 23:32:22

I don't fancy camping either! I think the kids would love it, and we have friends who camp a lot and other friends who have a camper van, but I just think it would end in disaster. My older two can't be in the same room as each other for two minutes without starting a fight, so we'd probably need two separate tents!

mummymeister Sun 11-Jan-15 13:10:26

sorry but you need to be realistic. you aren't going to find 4 nights in cornwall in august for 4 in a cottage for that amount. prices this year have gone up considerably due to the change in school holidays in term time rules. You are talking about £22 per person per night. caravans are usually around the same price as self catering so wont be that much cheaper. the only possibility is camping or try and go right at the end of school hols just before your kids go back to school. Of course they are going to be 7 nights minimum in August why let for 4 when you can let for 7. these are the peak 6 weeks. there are some lovely camping sites in cornwall right on the beaches. Polzeath is perfect for this or you could camp out at one of the lakes.

Ieirswnllyd Sun 11-Jan-15 14:02:07

No I wasn't being realistic sadly! Haven't been on a holiday for a while and I think I've lost touch what I thought was a budget holiday.

Camping isn't an option for us as It would be impossible to do it with DD, same as a longer length holidays.

mummymeister Sun 11-Jan-15 16:44:55

what about the weekend at the end of May half term starting on the Friday for a couple of nights. that would be cheaper if you find someone with a Friday changeover day. when are your kids back at school in September? mine are going back really late - 7th for my son so again worth looking at this end and you could pick up a short break then as well.

mychess51 Mon 25-May-15 09:46:24

Not quite what you want but John Fowler holidays do 3 nights for around £350.

goldacre Wed 27-May-15 19:57:49

We've just finished a staycation since DH had booked a few days' leave and we decided to do daytrips within 1.5 hrs' drive from home.

So far, this has included a day trip into London, a family cycle at our nearest Forestry Commission place followed by Junior Go Ape en masse, a day trip to The Broads here which involved canoeing, archery and bushcraft skills (how to build a fire and light it which was tremendous fun!) Since we saved on accommodation, we didn't feel the need to scrimp on meals and I am on minimal cooking duties. (Packed lunches have involved M&S picnics!)

Because we planned it, we have had a blast albeit a hectic one plus we all managed to still return to the comfort of our own beds each night.

wheresmyAga Mon 08-Jun-15 21:51:36

OP would a youth hostel work for you?This one in St Just (near Land's End) is in an idyllic setting, just off the coast path smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now