Talk

Advanced search

I need a northern idyll to recharge and pig out

(13 Posts)
stinkingbishop Tue 30-Dec-14 22:49:06

Need somewhere with DP to just go and, you know, have a sit down, and a cup of tea, and a bath without children in it, and wonderful food that I don't have to make, and the chance to put on nice clothes without thinking, no point, just going to get Ribena on it. We are cream crackered, and will only get more so. Suggestions warmly invited.

Got to be rural and scenic. Coast or moors would be nice for bracing walks. Will be for a long long weekend (VERY kind person has offered to have our twins for 5 days in May). I'll have to do a bit of work, so a big room with a desk, or the sort of country hotel that would have a quiet lounge/library.

Most importantly it has to do black pudding, kippers, tomatoes and a mean poached egg for breakfast, and have a really big squidgy leather armchair in front of a fire smile.

I've been pouring through Sawdays and current faves are Plas Bodgroes in Wales or Traddock near Settle in the Dales. Anything else? Want it only to be 2 hours drive so North Wales/Lancs/Lakes/Yorks/Northumberland at a push. DP wants somewhere with a gym/pool but I can persuade him just to climb a mountain instead if necessary...

justabigdisco Tue 30-Dec-14 22:51:00

Holbeck Ghyll envy

GertrudePerkins Tue 30-Dec-14 22:53:38

The feversham is lovely and the breakfasts are lethal

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 30-Dec-14 22:55:46

Pen y dyfrynn near Oswestry.

stillwearingaredribbon Tue 30-Dec-14 22:57:24

Otley Chevin
Traddock is nice though

iamthenewgirl Tue 30-Dec-14 23:06:30

Somewhere in Northumberland? I love that place...

ClartyYakker Tue 30-Dec-14 23:07:44

www.langdale.co.uk/

SwedishEdith Tue 30-Dec-14 23:08:42

Isn't Cartmel supposed to be nice? Has a few good restaurants as well. I love Beaumaris.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 30-Dec-14 23:09:03

Royal goat hotel in Beddgelert. Leather sofas, fires, residents lounge, good beer, great food, fantastic walks. Bedrooms are a bit shabby but I reckon its got character.

stinkingbishop Tue 30-Dec-14 23:11:17

I reckon MN should set up a travel agency you know...thanks everyone. The Oswestry place looks PERFECT. Holbeck does too but, not being in possession of a helicopter, it might be a tiny bit outside our price range...Have been to Cartmel a few times, and eaten there (AMAZING) so probably need somewhere new. Will look at Anglesey. We could go to Kate and Wills' old Londis!!!

andadietcoke Tue 30-Dec-14 23:21:35

Plas Rhianfa is just outside Beaumaris and is lovely. There's often dinner, bed and breakfast deals on Travelzoo. Rooms have desks with amazing views and there are lots of little sitting rooms with big sofas. There's a hot tub too if that's your kind of thing - we didn't try it but there were people using it while we were there and it looked good.

Our visit was also while our twins were being taken care of elsewhere. Highly recommend it as twin respite therapy!

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 31-Dec-14 07:45:15

Another vote for Beaumaris.

stinkingbishop Wed 31-Dec-14 09:47:16

andadietcoke maybe I should set up Twins & Triplets Travel Therapy wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now