Talk

Advanced search

UK Road Trip

(11 Posts)
minesatea Tue 30-Dec-14 20:46:11

Hi
Looking for some advice for a family holiday we are taking next year.
We will arrive by ferry to Holyhead with our car.
We have 2 DC's (6&11)
We hope to do Legoland and visit family in Norfolk. DH would love to visit the tank museum in Bovington.

Are there any other places suitable for us that we could visit along the way. Is visiting Bovington too "out of the way"
Having a look at google maps but getting more confused by that.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 30-Dec-14 20:49:53

To put it in perspective it takes us between 7 & 9 hours to get from Bovington to Holyhead

eatyourveg Thu 01-Jan-15 21:50:50

Depends how much time you have -I would do it in stages

Stage 1
From Holyhead have some time in Snowdonia taking in castles and beaches before heading across to M5

Stage 2
Down to Lyme Regis (well Charmouth actually) to do some fossil hunting stay over somewhere near Chesil beach/Portland (go up the lighthouse) before heading across to Bovington possible stay over in the New Forest taking in Legoland when you head up the M3

Stage 3
Norfolk

minesatea Fri 02-Jan-15 23:06:54

Thks for that. We are going to approx 16 days so do plan on breaking it down so that we are not driving too long every day.

Will check our the places you suggest eatyourveg.

Dowser Sat 03-Jan-15 12:22:00

Longleat safari park and house are well worth a visit. That's near Warminster so sort of on your route.

Dowser Sat 03-Jan-15 12:23:02

Bath is a beautiful city to vist . The roman baths are well worth a vist.

Purpleflamingos Sat 03-Jan-15 12:28:25

In or around snowdonia that we enjoyed was the train to the top of snowdonia (disabled dmother had a coffee in the cafe whilst we climbed to the top) then back down again.
Conwy castle.
Bodnant Gardens.

What sort of things do you like?

Personally, I'd want a couple of days in London but I have no idea how, 'On the way' that might be or not!

bluecheque4595 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:45:52

I have done lots of motoring holidays from the south of England to Scotland and vice versa.

I would recommend, driving, OR sightseeing but not BOTH in thr same day. Went driving plus Chester Zoo one year and it was utterly exhausting. So time your driving, arrive at a hotel, go sightseeing. Next day do some driving. Dont try and cover 800 miles plus an hour or two sightseeing. Or if you are the only driver get the other parent to take the kids somewhere nice while you take a nap in the back seat.

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sat 03-Jan-15 17:51:57

If you are 'doing' Norfolk, would [http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/ this] work for you?

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sat 03-Jan-15 18:02:02

try again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now