Talk

Advanced search

It'll be february; it'll be cold! Where would you take 4yo twins on the scottish or Northumbrian East coast for Feb half term?

(12 Posts)
Isindethickofit Sun 02-Nov-14 23:45:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Tue 04-Nov-14 22:53:21

I love Craster, but I think it will be pretty bleak in February.

English Country Cottages usually have good accommodation, Sykes have a wide range, as do other holiday cottage companies.

There is a Sainsburys in Alnwick so you should be able to stock up on vegan food locally. Craster is famous for kippers so it might not be so vegan friendly if eating out.

defineme Tue 04-Nov-14 23:16:54

We will be in Alnmouth -lovely beach and playground plus lots of pubs and cafes to retreat to.
We have lots of family to visit so we're ok if weather pants, but there's not many options in wet weather beyond Alnwick which has usual swimming pool/soft play stuff as well as castle, Barter Books and the gardens.
The next beach along from Craster after Dunsterborough castle ruins is Low Newton which is beautiful with a few holiday cottages and the ship inn, but not much else.

NerfHerder Wed 05-Nov-14 00:15:54

Isn't the amazing treehouse up there (near Alnwick?) and the Seven Stories museum place? (forgive my uselessness, brain has shut down for the night)

Isindethickofit Wed 05-Nov-14 13:23:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shhhgobacktosleep Thu 06-Nov-14 22:30:29

The tree house is in Alnwick castle gardens which are really child friendly and if it's raining you won't mind them splashing in the water fountain jets wink. Seven stories is in Newcastle which is certainly within travelling distance. There is also Bamburgh castle and a fab beach (dressed up warm would still be fun for running on/kite flying). Seahouses is more touristy (gift shops, amusements, fish & chips etc) and you can get boat trips from the harbour to the farne Islands to see the puffins and seals and climb the light house. There is lots to do, you just need to be prepared to be cold, damp and probably windswept but Northumberland is a beautiful place all year round.

Dowser Sun 30-Nov-14 14:42:55

Oh yes you'll have to take them over the causeway to holy island and ( pretend) you might just get caught by the tide coming in on the causeway.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 30-Nov-14 14:55:27

I'd recommend Northumbria Coast and Country Cottages, based in Alnmouth. We've used them half a dozen times and been very happy with the cottages and the customer service. We love Northumbria but have only been in summertime so can't really comment on February visit, but I'd have thought jumpers, waterproofs and wellies would mean you could enjoy the outdoors even then.

Bunbaker Sun 30-Nov-14 21:21:03

Just being pedantic, but it is Northumberland not Northumbria.

It's Northumbria University and Northumbria Police, but the county is Northumberland. The ancient kingdom of Northumbria stretched from Edinburgh to the Humber. If you are from Northumberland you are Northumbrian.

Hoppinggreen Mon 01-Dec-14 21:08:14

Seahouses is nice and so is Bamburgh, both not far from Craster.

Bea Tue 02-Dec-14 22:52:59

are you still looking?
highly recommend www.sandandcastle.co.uk/ we've stayed in swallows end and coast cottage... absolutely gorgeous and not far from alnwick! They have cottages in craster too! Make sure you go to the kipper house when there!!! yum!
East Coast? Go! It's stunning!

trilbydoll Sat 06-Dec-14 17:10:39

We went to Seahouses in Oct, great location, right on the beach and central for loads of castles and other places. The town itself was okay too, a small Co-op, fish and chip shops and a slightly past its best soft play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now