Talk

Advanced search

Can you help find me a family friendly posh hotel for my 40th?

(14 Posts)
NewEraNewMindset Mon 27-Oct-14 16:16:36

There is me, my partner and my toddler. Would love to give him to my Mum for a few days and disappear for an adult break somewhere wonderful (I would miss him but you know what I mean!!) alas practicalities dictate that we need a family friendly hotel.

I have in my mind that a place may exist that has a pool, possibly spa facilities and some babysitting type service in the evening that would allow us to have a meal in the restaurant whilst my toddler sleeps.

We are near Cambridge and I'm thinking a 2 hour radius would be grand, potentially a bit longer.

Thank you!!

hulahoopsilove Mon 27-Oct-14 16:37:01

sorry but Center Parcs fits the bill imo ie spa, family friendly pool, restaurants, babysitting service and lovely walks through the woods with toddler in the day whilst they nap in their pram then a stop of for a cheeky glass of wine at the Country Club whilst they nap...this is what I did for my 40th smile

NewEraNewMindset Mon 27-Oct-14 16:40:14

Ooooh you make a good point. We do have one that's just opened nearby. I didn't know they offered a babysitting service?

ImogenQuy Mon 27-Oct-14 16:48:10

I don't know the Cambridge area well but is Midsummer House still there? I heard amazing things about it though never went myself.

hulahoopsilove Tue 28-Oct-14 07:57:05

Yes CP's offer a babysitting service, however what we found is we were all shattered after a full day out swimming, walking, fresh air etc... so we ordered a take away (they delivery chinese, indian and pizza) which they delivered with wine.

What made us do the CP's thing for my 40th was the year before we'd gone to York and stayed in a nice hotel with DS age 2 ... we found:

One room a nightmare for DS who has just started walking, he was touching everything in sight, knocked over a lamp and fell on the bathroom floor - CP's is open plan and a large lounge area with huge patio doors for your little one to play and watch the squirrels, rabbits and ducks come up to the window

DS is an early waker and I was nervous about making noise and waking the guests next door - CP's you can wake up as early as you want, in fact you can open the curtains at 6am and there are lots of other lights on in the villas and even parents out with very early wakers!!!

Breakfast - we had to get showered, ready and make our way down to breakfast - CP's you can leisurely get ready and have a lovely family brekkie in your pjs' still!!!

Restuarants...DS played up and had a right melt down in the hotel restuarant, very over tired. CP's this happens no one bats an eye lid as everyone understands!!!!

We had a lovely time all 3 of us it was so relaxing, no stress, lovely walks at nap time and time for us to chat and walk whilst our DS napped.

As our DS got older we do try and get away at least once a year (no much family around now to help with childcare) but I only did this as he got older we were and are happy to have him with us smile

Hope this makes sense

tomatoplantproject Tue 28-Oct-14 08:03:01

The luxury family hotel chain is your friend and they often do mid week offers - we have stayed at Woolley grange in the Cotswolds but I have heard good things about the ickworth in Suffolk. They do cots in rooms, crèche, lots of things to do for children, high tea, baby listening or babysitters, and a spa complete with a nice warm pool for little ones. Honestly it's amazing but can get v pricey at weekends and holidays.

Bowlersarm Tue 28-Oct-14 08:12:52

Ickworth is amazing. Haven't been for a few years but have been a number of times when the dc were little. Highly recommend it (Assuming it's remained the same standard)

NewEraNewMindset Tue 28-Oct-14 08:40:00

Thanks girls!! I will investigate all those options, I just want a relaxing break so I'm not too bothered where, as long as we can actually go out for a meal or two at some point! I love my son but some adult time is also good for the soul smile

Heels99 Tue 28-Oct-14 08:48:33

Calcot manor is family friendly, has spa, pool, babysitting and fantastic ofsted registered kids play centre where you can leave the kids for a few hours plus lots of lovely villages and walks in the area. I Like centre parcs but if you want posh and luxury it wouldn't be my choice and the food isn't great.

wonkylegs Tue 28-Oct-14 08:56:13

Have a look at the website 'family friendly boltholes' - it's great for stuff like this in the uk & abroad.
We've found fab places mainly abroad that have been excellent. It tells you what facilities etc & all are very very nice for grown ups as well as being suitable for kids.
Centre Parcs doesn't scream luxury or special to me either. Nice family weekend yes, special birthday - I think you can probably do better.

bansheebarley Tue 28-Oct-14 09:06:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tomatoplantproject Tue 28-Oct-14 14:36:25

Dormy house is amazing but I would do it without children - they don't have the same facilities for children that the ickworth etc. have. I've also heard good things about calcot manor but haven't been. My friend who went to the ickworth recently is quite particular so I trust her judgement.

I've just remembered - the Sunday times had a pullout on child friendly hotels a few months ago so might be worth seeing if you can get the results somehow. I think both the ickworth and calcot manor were recommended.

Maki79 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:42:00

Not sure if it's too far but The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne is super!
Children's beach bag on arrival, cookies and milk at turndown, babysitting, children's creche, children's dinner time if you do want to eat with them one evening. And very luxurious....pricey though.
Oh and a SPA and pools.

Janes44 Mon 10-Nov-14 10:22:09

Have a look at The Days Hotel Marsham Court in Bournemouth. Gold Approved Family Friendly Award. Lots of convenient extras available to make travelling with children easier ie: bed guards, toddler steps ups in bathrooms etc. babysitting available to pre-book. Lovely family rooms for up to 6 many overlooking the sea and only 2 minutes walk from the town centre. www.dayshotelbournemouth.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now