Can anyone recommend somewhere accesible by train from manchester for a few child free nights away please?

(7 Posts)
MrsEames Mon 25-Aug-14 13:23:43

In a week or so that wont break the bank?

Big ask I know, but I need a few nights away. We won't have a car so needs to be public transport friendly.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
fivepies Mon 25-Aug-14 13:28:19

York is lovely. Just under two hours on the train from Manchester. Car not needed when you get there. Lots to see and do. Accommodation not that cheap though.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 25-Aug-14 13:30:24

I'm just going to name places, but maybe one will take your fancy
Shrewsbury
Durham
Lake District
Oxford
York
Glasgow
Carlisle
Warwick

If you want Warwick or Birmingham I can advise nice places. The others are just places I would go to if you see what I mean!

MrsEames Mon 25-Aug-14 13:57:56

Sorry, I should have said specific places to stay, nice hotels, cottages etc. I really don't care what area as long as its a nice place to stay smile

Misssss Mon 25-Aug-14 14:07:09

If you're skint have a look at the YHA, there is a nice one in Buxton in a stately home, you can get a double ensuite for about £20 a night. There are various YHA stately hostels in the peaks. I stayed in one about a year ago and was really impressed. Trains run from Manchester to Buxton often. Have a great break.

MrsEames Mon 25-Aug-14 14:15:27

I'm not skint, I have a few hundred to spend, just not hundreds per night.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 25-Aug-14 14:20:16

There is a lovely lovely b&b in Buxton called Corbar Bank. It more like a self contained apartment really. You are greeted with home made cake.

http://corbarbank.co.uk/accommodation-at-corbar-bank/

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in