Help! Holiday location ideas please!

(8 Posts)
splishsplosh Sat 26-Apr-14 22:22:11

I'm hoping to take my dds (8 and 5) away for a few days at the end of May and am having trouble finding somewhere suitable.

It needs to be accessible by public transport, not a horrendously long journey as it will only be for 3 or 4 nights (we live in South London), and be fairly inexpensive. And preferably near the beach.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
rowna Sat 26-Apr-14 22:28:22

Newlands in charmouth? The sun are doing a holiday offer at the moment.

splishsplosh Sat 26-Apr-14 22:32:14

It's a bit random when you get dates though with the Sun offers isn't it?

Is it easy to get to? I looked at a youth hostel in Devon, but it was about 6 hours to get there, 3 trains, a tube, and a long bus journey which seems a bit much!

mummymeister Sun 27-Apr-14 14:48:40

if you are looking at May half term then most places will be trying to get booked for the whole week rather than a few nights and this is why you might struggle. either find somewhere with a Friday - Friday set up and go for a long weekend starting on the Friday or wait until the very last minute to book and see if you can pick something up. what is your budget and would a long weekend be worth it for you? have a look at some of the late deals places like lastminute-cottages. Camping?

splishsplosh Sun 27-Apr-14 20:52:27

We have a couple of inset days after the half term, so thought could go for a long weekend then, on the basis it might be cheaper.

Camping not an option as don't have the equipment and going by public transport means travelling light.

Budget - max £400 I guess, but preferably less.

I'm a bit wary of leaving it til the last minute because of the restrictions of location.

Swisskissingisbetterthenfrench Tue 06-May-14 19:07:42

The Jurassic coast. Lyme Regis area? Never been myself but heard its great

Swisskissingisbetterthenfrench Tue 06-May-14 19:11:24

Train to Axminster station then 20 min bus trip to the coop in Lyme Regis.

threedeer Fri 09-May-14 07:51:07

I'd go to Romney Sands in Kent. Miles and miles and MILES of soft sandy beach - never crowded. Tiny steam train that takes you at one end to an old fashioned fairground and donkey rides, and at the other end film director Derek Jarman's House, a lighthouse you can climb and the spooky power station.

Cheap, clean caravans/apartments with a pool and playground on site.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in