centreparcs sherwood - cycling, skating boarding, rollerskating

(12 Posts)
Newhere2 Sun 06-Apr-14 18:05:35

hi,

are there paths smooth enough for novice skate boarders & roller skaters ?

Also are the cycle paths gravel?

thx

OP’s posts: |
VivaLeBeaver Sun 06-Apr-14 19:05:40

I'm trying to think.....the roads are smooth enough for both and really apart from arrival and leaving days there shouldn't be cars on the roads. The cycle paths aren't gravel but they're not as smooth as the roads. Kind of slightly bumpy concrete rather than smooth Tarmac so maybe not the best.

CinnabarRed Sun 06-Apr-14 19:08:31

Just come back from Sherwood!

The paths in and around the village square and some of the routes to/from the apartments are brick, so plenty smooth enough (although your novice shouldn't be skating in the village square, to be fair).

Most of the other paths are Tarmac, some with embedded very fine gravel. I would have thought they'd by skateable, yes. There were certainly kids on skates last week.

Newhere2 Sun 06-Apr-14 20:18:58

thanks both smile

Cinnabar in your opinion do you 'need' to have bikes?

everydayaschoolday Sun 06-Apr-14 20:29:11

We're off to CP Sherwood tomorrow and have been there a few times.

No, you don't need bikes - as long as you're prepared to walk grin. We didn't do bikes last Dec, and we're not doing bikes this week coming. But most people do, I think.

We're accommodated fairly far out from the village square this time (same area as last time) and it takes us about 20-25 mins with little kids to walk in. We take in the scenery, kids pick up leaves and spot squirrels etc.

Newhere2 Sun 06-Apr-14 20:31:39

thank you.

It will be our first ever centerparcs adventure. So any hints most welcome!

everydayaschoolday Sun 06-Apr-14 20:44:26

we love it, but not everyones cup of tea. Nice and relaxed and fits with our little kids and teenage DSDs.

Eating out is not cheap. I self cater most nights for the family and we eat out for one evening meal and perhaps a couple of lunches (Hucks and Dexter's Kitchen). So I have a frozen homemade sausage casserole, frozen homemade cottage pie and an easy pasta bake to take tomorrow, so I'm not stuck in the kitchen cooking.

And while the Parc Marc (small supermarket) on site is very well stocked, their prices are in line somewhat with Tesco but with no offers. I shop in Aldi, so I take a lot of groceries with us (5 kids all in!) to keep price down. Fresh bread and cakes in the Parc Marc are lovely.

You'll have a great time.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 06-Apr-14 21:14:53

I would really take bikes. Its a big place to get around and I think you could be put off gong to say the nature centre if you thought you had to walk. But its easy, quicker on bikes.

CinnabarRed Sun 06-Apr-14 22:05:56

We've never bothered with bikes because the DSs are too small to ride - but scooters have been a godsend. If yours are old enough to ride and you can pack the bikes on the car then definitely take them. And remember bike locks (although you can buy them for £3 from the supermarket).

CinnabarRed Sun 06-Apr-14 22:08:22

I'm really jealous you're going, BTW!

DS3, who is 2, told me tonight that I should tell off the "naughty wavy pool" because it doesn't have a waterslide! The little thrill seeker was hurtling down all the grown-up waterslides on my knees, squealing like a banshee.

Newhere2 Sun 20-Apr-14 09:57:44

So we're just back and we enjoyed the break. If the weather had been bad though I'm not sure if we would have had the same opinion considering the cost. I think it may be best for a weekend break, even in the case of bad weather the swimming area would be enough for a few days.

It was a perfect for a quick break for our 6 &9 yr olds. They loved the swimming area, slides etc. We spent a lot of time each day there.

My thoughts are if kids are old enough bikes are a very good idea. It is an adventure in itself everyone riding around.

Although the village was almost fully booked we could have easily dined anywhere without a reservation.
The restaurants with play areas are a great option as you get some alone time and the kids get to play.

We found the meals not too expensive, though the food is not what we would usually choose (far too many chips etc).

The supermarket wasn't too overly priced and had most things.

We booked one activity for both children prior to arrival and I think that was enough, considering everything else on offer. We could have booked more on arrival though as there was availability on most activities.

Nowitscleanugobshite Sun 20-Apr-14 10:08:02

It's years since I've been but we used to go at Easter and Halloween for a couple of years. We shared a house with a friend and her kids to cut the hideous cost! My then toddler son called it his happy place!! My favourite bit was watching others unpack!! I watched people unpack a silk flower Easter arrangement and put it in the front window!!! And bikes-yes!!! We brought as many as the car would take and then hired one with a "caravan"-it was handy for groceries as much as kids!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in