Talk

Advanced search

Added extras for holiday let, what do you want?

(21 Posts)
Graciescotland Fri 21-Feb-14 21:05:15

Sort of a thread inspired by another thread. Assuming you have white high thread count sheets, ensuites and fluffy towels, what added extras do you want and what would you be willing to pay for them?

I was thinking of offering things like a coffee lovers package; nespresso machine and capsules, tea lovers package; decent selection of loose leaf teas maybe a jar of local honey, deli basket of cheese, chutney and crackers, flowers and champagne. Easy start firelogs for woodburner. I would seek to keep prices reasonable so cost plus 10-15% depending on hassle factor.

Also more on the services side babysitting via the local nursery does 10 per hour, 3 hour minimum booking 50% surcharge after midnight sound about right? A shopping signing for and putting away service for late arriving visitors? I'm not too sure about this as substitutions are a minefield and late arrivals tend to be overseas guests and they don't always know the brands etc. so find Tesco's a bit of a challenge.

Would anyone be tempted by extra cleaning? The cleaner does a minimum of 2.5 hours so charge would be 25 pounds but it might be nice to go out for the day knowing the house is back to lovely and clean on your return.

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 22-Feb-14 14:54:58

We do self catering a lot - I like coffee but always take my own, I wouldn't pay extra for things like flowers and champagne.

I tend to prefer things being all in, too many add on options can increase the price a lot.

WIFI is a must for us and an additional tv is also a bonus as ds has special needs and loves to watch dvds in his room - I would pay more for that as we usually end up taking one with us! (if ds is happy, I'm happy)

NotCitrus Sat 22-Feb-14 15:27:14

Options I'd make use of: deli style dinner package for first or other nights, someone coming in to cook or provide a cooked meal one night, possibly a babysitter while eating in a nearby restaurant.
Have paid usually £10/week extra for travel cots, happy to do so as sometimes the owner has gone to buy a second one.

It's great getting somewhere late and finding a meal provided, even just bread, cheese, fruit and a cake, and I'm happy to pay.

iklboo Sat 22-Feb-14 16:09:47

If it was a special stay (eg birthday or anniversary) if book flowers & champagne

Would love the coffee lovers package & deli basket.

Chocolates would be lovely.

'your first morning breakfast' would be nice. You could ask customers to specify if they wanted stuff for a Full English or Continental when they booked.

Notify Sat 22-Feb-14 16:15:37

Lots of your ideas sfound lovely but if it comes down to it I can't imagine paying extra for them. Coffee/champagne/flowers are a nice touch if they're included in the price but if it meant paying more I'd take my own.

Babysitting useful though

Graciescotland Sun 23-Feb-14 06:33:47

Thanks for the feedback. I really do like the idea of a first morning breakfast. I know the butcher's do a breakfast pack so that, eggs, fresh bread and condiments. Continental pastries, bread, butter, jam, fresh fruit, juice type thing. What would you pay roughly per person?

I could also offer a bulked up deli basket with fresh bread, meats for dinner, often have that for dinner myself in the summer. There's a lovely deli that sources locally so I'll have a chat to them about a package.

We are rural in a fifteen minutes away from the nearest pint of milk sort of way so I appreciate it's not always easy for guests. Have considered having an emergency foodstuffs box wine, pasta, pesto, jars of antipasti for anyone who finds themselves in a fix with the expectation that things would be replaced/ paid for.

I do normally offer inclusive prices so I include, electricity, linen, towels, logs and if necessary travel cots, highchair. I do make sure there are some basics olive oil , salt, pepper, teabags, naice loo rolls, cleaning stuff etc. It'd really be more as a proper added extra rather than something you need to enjoy your holiday.

We are in a fairly saturated market holiday let wise, although we're rural just about everyone has a converted outbuilding or two so I only charge 100 per night peak rate for a 3 bed, 3 bathroom stone built converted barn. I'd love to give everyone champagne and flowers but I don't think I could increase prices to reflect additional costs.

I hadn't thought about offering a second tv, would be happy to do so but it'd only be able to play dvd's as there's no tv connection socket in any of the bedrooms. Do you think I could do it on the available upon request list a la travel cot? I couldn't have a tv permanently there that didn't actually have tv.

Also we have a selection of DVD's that we keep in the bothy entranceway along with things like OS maps, local walking guide books, helpful bits of fishing kit, spare binoculars type things. I only tell people this once they've actually arrived and I'm doing the welcome would it be better to do it in advance?

NotCitrus Sun 23-Feb-14 10:46:58

More information in advance the better. As long as you don't over-sell, so "selection of DVDs" had better be at least 20 proper ones, not four weird films and a couple out of a newspaper. Likewise mention some extras in the house you are welcome to use, but don't promise fishing kit unless you are willing to ensure there will be all the bits every week for someone who arrives without any.

If there is little mobile reception in the area, mention it - couple years ago managed to get WiFi working just in time to tell friends to sign up for Twitter before leaving an urban area, and ended up tweeting shopping lists all week from the house.

sillymillyb Sun 23-Feb-14 10:54:59

I haven't been on holiday in years, so not sure my input is any good, but could you offer a kids entertainment pack?

you could put in some board games, pencils, building blocks, maybe a treasure hunt or something? I'd pay extra for that so long as it was age appropriate.

MissMilbanke Sun 23-Feb-14 10:55:23

Milk is an essential in our house and I would love to arrive at my holiday and be able to have a 'nice' cup of tea ! We don't eat meat so that would probably be wasted on us - sorry.

Flowers and champagne would seem a little OTT for me.

Maps and DVDs are great and Wifi. family games such as scrabble, cards.

Do you have a hotel nearby that you could do a deal with re use of spa or swimming pool ?

sillymillyb Sun 23-Feb-14 10:56:19

Oh also, I know you can get dinner packs now where they provide a recipe and all the ingredients already cut up / provided. Would that be any good as an extra? Sort of like a luxury dinner that you cook but it's no hassle?

BellaVida Sun 23-Feb-14 11:22:57

Based on past stays, I would say-
-Welcome box (coffee, tea, milk, bread etc) or deluxe welcome box (plus enough for continental breakfast and two family meals).
- special occasion package (seasonal or birthday, with decoration, flowers, chocs, fizz or gender/age/event appropriate gift)
- entertainment package (games consoles, new release films, games)
- supplement for early check in or late check out.
- work out deals with local shops, restaurants, attractions so that you can offer discounts or pre-book.

Graciescotland Sun 23-Feb-14 13:25:55

I'm a gym member of the local hilton, I think I can buy day passes for a tenner. It seems awfully expensive for a swim/ workout though? Happy to add it to the list of things though.

Actually have fairly good mobile as Vodafone mast nearby.

I think most of our our dvds are childrens, maybe it is easier just to say when people arrive. I do try and tailor the welcome so if you're travelling with kids then kid friendly stuff to do in the local area and so forth.

Busy creating a pre arrival welcome pdf to send to guests before they arrive which is why these are all so useful!

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Sun 23-Feb-14 13:38:51

Not an extra exactly but one of the nicest houses we ever stayed in had a Bose - um - thing-with-speakers-to-put-your-iPod-in (or iPhone or whatever) along with all the fluffy towels, Egyptian cotton bedding etc

We all loved having that smile

MuttonCadet Sun 23-Feb-14 13:44:00

Definitely milk, tea and coffee.

A welcome pack is always appreciated.

Good selection of games to play dvds etc in case the weather isn't great.

A visitors book so that people can leave hints and tips for others (must get a loose leaved one just in case someone has a bad experience).

cece Sun 23-Feb-14 13:49:02

I self cater a lot.

I like to have;

pint glasses

box of toys for DC - lego is multi aged

garden games and toys, such as swingball, cricket set etc

DVDs for various tastes

selection of books for guests to use

board games

at least 2 TVs

DC love a game console

wifi

Last year we stayed in a lovely place and really really appreciated the use of a parking pass for the local beach. It saved us a fortune in parking charges.

Graciescotland Sun 23-Feb-14 13:57:37

I do have a book, it isn't loose leaved though and people write nice things in it! I'd be a bit suspicious to see a loose leaved one.

There is a chess set but I could stick some of our games in the bothy (nice sort of wood panelled place which is not part of the let but guests are free to come and borrow stuff) and we have some outdoor games like swingball and a pingpong table in the stables ( no horse at the moment).

Graciescotland Sun 23-Feb-14 14:01:41

Lego is a good tip, I'd struggled to come up with anything universal as we've had kids from 3 weeks to 15yo over the last year and I don't want to fill the place with things that will be used once.

What is a good console? Our broadband is rural aka slow so can't really be online as would take up all of the signal. Also are games not easy to scratch/ ruin? They seem so expensive. <Misses days of supernintendo>

reup Sun 23-Feb-14 14:13:26

I would like to know what basics are provided. It's Sod's law with me that if I bring salt, oil, pepper, plastic food bags, foil, washing up liquid etc they would already have it and if I didn't it wouldn't be there.

Having recently got a dog and thinking about holiday cottages I looked for local dog day care or walkers in case we wanted to go to a non dog attraction.

Am bit sure I would pay for any extras except dog or baby sitting. The food idea would be one but we always get a supermarket delivery now.

reup Sun 23-Feb-14 14:14:22

I meant I'm not sure!

noramum Mon 24-Feb-14 14:32:02

I would normally love to have a house stocked with things like loo paper, kitchen roll, washing up liquid, hand soap and tea towels. If this would be offered as an extra I would bring my own.

A cleaner inbetween - not really. I would be prepared to pay for an end-of-let clean (depending on the house, up to £60 for a two week stay).

For a UK holiday we drive so I would bring enough for the first day or go shopping on the way so a filled fridge or similar wouldn't be necessary. I would love a list with farmer's markets or shops where I can buy local products though.

For a DVD-box, get something for all ages and stock some toddler/preschool TV series, not all 2-3 year olds are able to watch a full movie. Or be sure you have catch up and at least CBBC and Cbbees available.

I wouldn't use a babysitter, sorry no unknown person would sit for me.

Board games are a nice touch, some books, also for children. I wouldn't mind if they are second-hand or dog-eared. DD loves new stories.

Make a note if Wifi is available. I don't need it but would use it and would be prepared to pay something small like £2/day to research day out options or book tickets.

Lots of info on local attractions and also on local advise like GPs and late pharmacy.

rookiemater Mon 24-Feb-14 22:20:30

I like the idea of a welcome pack, but would rather it had local produce where possible rather than Tescos - I'd pay a small premium for that. I wouldn't be interested or prepared to pay extra for flowers or fancy tea.

We did use babysitters when DS was younger ( so shoot me) and it was always helpful to have a name and know it was someone that the owner trusted.

Having just spent a week in a French apartment without wifi, these days I would say that wifi is one of our requirements.

A few toys and games are great - lego popular with DS, some books for children and adults, local walking books are a real bonus.

Oh and I love it when I get there and find clingfilm, tupperware boxes for picnic, foil and kitchen roll, although I usually bring them anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now