Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Luxury alternative to centrepieces

(18 Posts)
SuiGeneris Thu 13-Feb-14 21:14:29

Inlaws have suggested centerparcs. I hate the idea (boarding school for adults as far as I can see) but DH is hellbent on making us go.

I am already not keen on going on holiday with the ILs, it has never worked before as they always find fault with something. Making it an enclosed campus with chain restaurants and organised activities is my idea of hell (DH knows this so am cross he is suggesting it, I think he might have agreed already).

Could anybody suggest an extra clean, luxury, small alternative? Kids are still small (2 and 4) so all we really need is a playground

SuiGeneris Thu 13-Feb-14 21:20:46

Centerparcs, not centrepieces... Kids just need a playground, no need for pools, though ok with them if heated, gated and clean. Please do tell me of alternatives to the dreaded CPs...

bonvivant Thu 13-Feb-14 21:25:50

Hi, I'm with you re not liking Centre Parks - overpriced IMO for what you get and the food is pretty rubbish. Can you not just look for a really nice hotel? Do you have an area in mind?

SuiGeneris Thu 13-Feb-14 21:31:34

Thank you. Within 2 hours of London would be good. Would rather self-cater but ILs don't like the same food as us and eat at different times so good for them to have restaurants nearby

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:33

Bluestone is much nicer than CP but is more than 2 hours from London.

PicaK Thu 13-Feb-14 22:18:08

But Woburn is opening in July. Brand new and still not sold out.

Misty9 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:54:45

Definitely forest holidays for your requirements. We went to the Sherwood Forest one last May with a 3yo and our then-18mo; there's a brilliant playground in walking distance, good for littles and bigger ones, and the accommodation was definitely luxury. We opted for the five bedroom with hot tub and it didn't disappoint smile (we were two families of three). Beautiful surroundings and plenty to do on your doorstep if you want to venture out.

They do other places around the uk too.

SuiGeneris Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:27

Will definitely have a look, thank you very much.

BellaVida Tue 18-Feb-14 09:19:11

Potters Leisure Park in Norfolk? They do all inclusive packages with plenty of activities for kids and adults.

Heebiejeebie Wed 19-Feb-14 21:00:16

Bruern cottages is lovely, small playground, pool, near lots of Cotswold attractions.

SuiGeneris Fri 21-Feb-14 03:00:50

Thank you, we loved Bruern two years ago. It's exactly the sort of thing I am after.

HiggsBosom Sat 22-Feb-14 17:48:06

I think some devere hotels have lodges? must be other hotels do that too. cp has the market cornered though, it's why they run at a ludicrously high occupancy rate! I love it but don't really eat out as food not great, but activities onsite inc the spa are excellent.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sat 22-Feb-14 19:40:06

I stayed in a lovely lodge at Cotswold Water Park booked through Orion holidays when my DC were a similar age to yours. They offer a good variety of accommodation so could be worth checking out.
I have enjoyed many Center Parc breaks with my DC and always enjoyed all the activities and fresh air. When the DC were younger my DH and I would book them in the cr�che for a few hours and head of to the spa. We also fed the DC at their normal tea time in the restaurants with the soft play and then cosied up with the fire on and ate together later or booked a baby sitter and went to a restaurant. I always found we had a pleasant few days.

Bearwantsmore Sat 22-Feb-14 19:45:27

I think you may be pleasantly surprised by centreparcs! However I would suggest you look at luxuryfamilyhotels.co.uk. They are pricy but so is centreparcs in my opinion and if you pay for half board it could work out similar cost in the end.

Pepperglitter Sat 22-Feb-14 19:54:21

Just go to centre parcs, honestly. Upgrade your villa. The spa there is good, the accommodation is excellent. With kids you can't beat it.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sat 22-Feb-14 20:09:58

We book the accommodation with your own sauna, and bedrooms with ensuites with whirlpool baths and a daily cleaner and really enjoy it.

SuiGeneris Sat 22-Feb-14 20:52:32

Thank you. The thing about CParcs is that I am not keen on the sauna etc, would want to avoid eating out as apparently it is chains only and almost every review I read mentioned dirty accommodation or damp issues etc. it also seems expensive for what it is. ..

Bearwantsmore Sun 23-Feb-14 08:37:10

Sui, I understand your preconceptions about CP - I shared them before I went - however with respect, you have never been and lots of the people offering you advice here have.

I have never found the accommodation to be damp or dirty - we've always gone for the second level up (above "comfort") villas and I would say the interior is on a par with a modern 4* hotel. That's at Longleat and Elveden. I expect Woborn will be even better as it'll be brand new.

Yes the restaurants are chains. But we what we tended to do was eat out at lunchtime, when actually the chain food suits our children perfectly (Cafe Rouge etc). Many of the restaurants have play areas too which is great. Then in the evenings we would either cook or get a takeaway once the children were asleep. And we are very keen on good food - we live in London and will go out to a good restaurant (without the children) on a regular basis. But to be honest we find that easier to do at home where we can use our usual babysitter etc.

Anyway, it doesn't sound as though we're going to able to convince you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now