Talk

Advanced search

Day out in London with a pushchair from Waterloo. Recommendations please. x

(15 Posts)
Briony32 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:00:24

Inspired by 'Topsy and Tim visit London' bedtime reading last night...
We live 40 mins away from London on the train but hardly ever go in as we are put off by logistical problems of carrying the buggy up and down huge flights of stairs and pushing through crowds. This seems a huge shame. Last time we went we pretty much stuck to the South Bank (which was lovely) but we would like to venture out a bit further and take the kids to see more of London. Don't mind going off the beaten track, in fact would like to avoid places like Oxford Street and Covent Garden.
Can anyone describe a successful day out in London (preferably from Waterloo) or give me some tips?
They are 1 year and 4 years old and we have a Macalaren.
Thanks!

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 10-Feb-14 10:04:56

My first thought on seeing the title was to suggest Boroough Market and the south bank. But I see you have done the Southbank. So...from Waterloo, walk over the Hungerford Bridge (the pedestrian only bridge from Waterloo across to the Embankment) and up to Trafalgar Square. Go into the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery. Then back across Trafalgar Square, taking in the fourth plinth and grab lunch at the ICA on The Mall (great value, friendly, laid back cafe), see whatever is their current exhibition, and then stroll around St James Park to look at the pelicans and the outside of Buckingham Palace. Then walk back to Waterloo over Westminster Bridge and along past the London Eye. And all free (bar cost of cheap lunch).

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 10-Feb-14 10:06:12

oh, if possible, time your visit to the NG with one of their lunch time talks for children. Even a 4 yo will be enthralled. Also free.

blueskyview Mon 10-Feb-14 10:11:31

Jubilee line to canary wharf (has lifts) and go to docklands museum - lovely small museum with a soft play. Lots of child friendly chain restaurants round there too for lunch.

Potol Mon 10-Feb-14 10:15:13

Come to Richmond. Go to Kew Gardens. 20 mins or less from Waterloo by train. Fantastic day out. They have an indoor kids area as well called Climbers and Creepers. Food is a bit expensive and not that good. Or go to Wimbledon to the Polka Theatre for a show. Have lunch nearby. Walk in Wimbledon Common. Or get the Jubilee line to North Greenwich and have a ride on the cable car. Have lunch in the Docklands and ride on the DLR.

squeaver Mon 10-Feb-14 10:15:42

Greenwich: Jubilee line to Canary Wharf, then the DLR - there are lifts at Greenwich station and you can pretend you're driving the train on the DLR. Then you can do the park and the observatory and Cutty Sark. Most of the flat, except the walk up to the Observatory. Or go to the next stop along the Jubilee which is North Greenwich (the Dome basically), and go on the cable car over the Thames - great fun.

Or, take the Jubilee in the other direction to Green Park (with lift access) and take a nice long walk through the parks to Kensington gardens for the Diana Pirate ship and the fountain.

SpookedMackerel Mon 10-Feb-14 10:28:43

Greenwich by boat from south bank?

Do you want to avoid the tube?

If you are coming to Waterloo by train, you could perhaps change at Vauxhall or Clapham Junction and come into Victoria instead. That brings you closer to Hyde Park, you could walk to the Natural History museum or Science museum.

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 10-Feb-14 10:41:21

Going from Waterloo to Greenwich with a pushchair is loads easier and quicker on the main train than jubilee line then dlr (unless you want to stop off at Canary Wharf for other reasons). There are some through trains from Waterloo to Greenwich, although not many, or else get on the first train to London Bridge, change platforms at the end of the platform rather than the footbridge (slopes not steps) to platform 1, and the trains go every 10 minutes to Greenwich, taking under 10 minutes.

There is a fabulous child friendly cafes in Greenwich - in the National Maritime Museum, or the Plum Tree Cafe, or Buenos Aires to name a few.

NMM has a great child zone, the park is great with an upgraded playground since the Olympics and you can admire the Cutty Sark from the paved riverside gardens. There is also a pottery cafe (or there was) on the one way system for cake and pottery if you have time.

squeaver Mon 10-Feb-14 11:00:43

Profplum is right - I forgot about the mainline trains. I was thinking about tube stations with lift access.

plantsitter Mon 10-Feb-14 11:07:29

Cross Westminster Bridge at Waterloo and have a look at Big Ben, go up Whitehall and see no 10 and Horseguards parade. If you can be arsed, walk through Horseguards Parade and then through St James's Park to Buckingham Palace. Then walk back down the Mall to Trafalgar Square. Otherwise just go up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square.

Otherwise you could just get the boat to the Tower of London and spend the day there. It's fun but $$$ - but you can get 2 for 1 tickets with your train tickets (and maybe you don't pay for the 4 yr old, can't remember).

Bearwantsmore Mon 10-Feb-14 19:21:25

Lots of good recommendations.

I just wanted to add that you really needn't be worried about the whole buggy/steps issue. I live in London and travel by tube a lot with my 1 yr old in buggy plus my 4 yr old, and it's never really a problem. In my experience, people are always more than happy to help lift the buggy. Escalators can be a little hairy but even they are doable!

Briony32 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:18:00

Thanks everyone. Lots of great ideas. I will be buggying it all around London now!

Heebiejeebie Wed 12-Feb-14 07:59:27

Duck tour?

callamia Wed 12-Feb-14 08:11:22

You can easily walk to Tate Modern. Huge hall space, good kids menu (free food with adult buying) and pretty gild friendly.

ProfPlumSpeaking Wed 12-Feb-14 08:59:58

Weren't all the duck tours cancelled after a couple of them caught fire? (Or have they restarted again?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now