Talk

Advanced search

Where to go with sons who have left home?

(17 Posts)
higgle Thu 06-Feb-14 16:20:58

Both our sons are now no longer living at home. DS1 is 23 and DS2 is 19 and at uni. We said that from now on we will not finance a full family holiday but would like to set up a week away in a cottage or similar as a break for all of us, probably just before DS2 goes back to uni. in Leeds' As a family we have had enough of Cornwall and Wales, Devon and rest of SW too close to home. We would like to go somewhere scenic, perhaps by the sea and where there are nice pubs and other things to do, even better if our dog can come too. Scotland is probably too far, and anyway we are having a weekend in Edinburgh soon. All ideas gratefully received. We live in between Gloucester and Bristol, close to M5.

TamerB Thu 06-Feb-14 19:11:49

The Lake District.

TamerB Thu 06-Feb-14 19:12:13

Northumbrian coast is lovely too.

stargirl1701 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:12:40

Scotland is closer than you think. grin I recommend Elie in Fife.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Thu 06-Feb-14 19:13:46

Hire a boat with Emerald Star in Ireland. Best hols we had as older teenagers.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Thu 06-Feb-14 19:14:05

We took the dog too!

MyBachisworsethanmybite Thu 06-Feb-14 19:20:50

Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, Sussex?

higgle Fri 07-Feb-14 07:48:44

Northumbria sounds nice, but most of the holiday cottages look a bit bleak, Is Cromer nice? I will be driving up to Brora for my own holiday ( cocoast to coast riding holilday) in June,as well as the Edinburgh trip, so 3 x is too much this year. Lake district a possibility - is there anything there for trendy young males? I have never been but thought it was a bit teashoppy and middle aged, maybe not.

TamerB Fri 07-Feb-14 08:02:25

Lake District depends on outdoor interests.If they are into fell walking, rock climbing, sailing etc it isn't a bit 'teashoppy'- and the pubs are nice.

higgle Fri 07-Feb-14 13:55:58

They don't mind the countryside, and maybe a nice seaside town would be OK but TBH they are both more interested in art galleries and drinking cocktails than beer and long walks. I'm now thinking of maybe nice countryside outside Brighton or Glasgow if it is Scotland.

TamerB Fri 07-Feb-14 14:41:40

Northumbria - Newcastle offers a lot.

mary21 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:48:36

What about Whitstable in Kent. Supposed to have lots of art galleries.
I was going suggest Dartmouth but you said not South West .
Brighton certainly does have a big youth culture and lots going on. Not really me though !

Bonsoir Fri 07-Feb-14 14:50:24

Fly to La Rochelle and go to the Ile-de-Ré.

NumptyNameChange Fri 07-Feb-14 14:52:09

peak district around the matlock bath area. all the pubs are dog friendly, lovely walks, no sea but you have the river.

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Feb-14 22:15:56

Would going abroad be an option? In the Netherlands, I am thinking Amsterdam or Delft/Leiden as there are many many museums And nice places to go for a drink. Leiden and Delft are not far from sandy beaches. Public transport is excellent so you don't need a car, dog shouldn't be a problem as long as fully vaccinated so you can get him back to the UK again.

As school Holidays don't entirely coincide with Dutch Holidays you should be able to get good deals. In the Netherlands there are almost always discounts but you Have to ask for them. Also other Mumsnetters may know good affordable accommodation. There are often special offers on the Ferries or coaches. Flying will be more expensive.

higgle Mon 10-Feb-14 09:35:55

Yes, I'm sort of thinking about Europe but close now. DS1 has been working in Brussels this year and has visited lots of European cities, but not seaside or countryside. DS2 being poor student will go anywhere he isn't paying and not moan too much!

MillyMollyMama Mon 10-Feb-14 18:00:06

If you are now considering abroad I recommend Berlin if you have not been there. Lots of art galleries, modern and more traditional, extremely interesting recent history (the Wall and the East/West sectors/Checkpoint Charlie etc) and the city has a young feel to it. The Reichstag is an amazing building and well worth a visit as is the Jewish Holocaust Memorial and the German History Museum. We got an amazing deal with a BA flight and hotel package. It is easy to get from the airport to the centre of Berlin and not too expensive when you are there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now