Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever stayed at Babington House?

(24 Posts)
neena28 Tue 30-May-06 18:36:45

Just wondering?

have been haunting their website for ages and would love to stay but am wondering whether it is really worth the money?

Any experiences?

Thanks

stitch Tue 30-May-06 18:38:14

what is it?

neena28 Tue 30-May-06 18:48:51

Like a posh country house hotel.

Looks beautiful on website and in the Mr and Mrs Smith hotel guide.

Also has really lovely kids bit and great spa.

Is my 'if I win the lottery place', just wondering whether 'real' people actually go and spend that much and it's worth it or whether it really is celebs only.

neena28 Tue 30-May-06 18:49:52

babington house

stitch Tue 30-May-06 18:59:18

if i didnt have three kids, then i would love to stay in a place like that.
but id o so i can dream

neena28 Tue 30-May-06 19:08:12

I'd love to go and cos we never really go on a proper holiday I think I could stretch to one of their last minute deals.

but would be gutted if it was crap!!

neena28 Tue 30-May-06 19:32:10

So is just celebs and none of them are hanging out with us!!!

LadySherlockofLGJ Tue 30-May-06 19:34:27

Are they room rates or pppn rates ??

neena28 Tue 30-May-06 19:35:13

I thought room rates otherwise it's a total no.

neena28 Wed 31-May-06 11:39:08

Bump in case celebs are now on mn!

Anchovy Wed 31-May-06 11:50:06

I have been there a few times. Its nice, but has a bit of a vibe about it which makes it sound nicer than it is. Last time we went it was celeb heaven - if you like that sort of thing (not sure I do). Someone had just got married there and we arrived at the tail end of the wedding weekend. I was hanging around reception desparately looking for somewhere to breast feed DD (who was about 4 months - celebs are all above such mundane things as observing checkout times so that incoming guests can come in) and was swooped upon by a host of people who wanted to hold DD. Heath Ledger, I think, was very nice about her.

Lots of very badly behaved "free spirit" style children, I seem to remember who were only being "lightly" supervised by their parents (I favour the Captain-von-Trapp-before-Julie-Andrews-approach myself).

neena28 Wed 31-May-06 11:55:55

Bugger!

Very pleased I haven't shelled out on it then.

You know when you just hear about something and start lusting, well this was my lust! I suppose they are never as good as you hope they might be though, are they.

Thanks for your reply though. xx

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 11:55:56

I think I would find it hideous beyond belief.

Lots of yummy mummies, deck shoes, 4x4's, Boden, competitively educated hot housed tossery children, organic blah blah, second home conversations, and shouts of "Jocintacasta? come to mummy. Marmaduke-Bartholemewwwwww???? Toodle pip"

IMO.

I am sure I just have a huge chip on my shoulder!

neena28 Wed 31-May-06 11:58:56

had visions of it being a bit beyond that tbh oliveoil. You are likely to be right though.

Had daydreamed this into a chilled out ibiza vibe with everything just swimming along with no worries to a bit of chill out music, even english weather being perfect etc.

MUST STOP DAYDREAMING
MUST STOP DAYDREAMING
MUST STOP DAYDREAMING

(and do some work!)

oliveoil Wed 31-May-06 12:01:17

oh I am sure it is lovely

BUT all the articles on it make my teeth itch so I am sure it is not for me

bath oils for £30 etc, yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Must have this that and the other zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bluesky Thu 01-Jun-06 19:18:25

read tripadvisor comments, it doesnt come out very well. Staff not great, it's all got a bit lazy.

We went 6 years ago, cost a fortune, I did find it very relaxing, but then who wouldn't a night away from 2 small children! Only problem was our room was above the smoking/snooker room, and it was so bl**dy noisy.

I loved the pool, it is half in and half outside. And I did have one of the best massages ever. She was a bit of a magic back reader, and could tell things about my pregnancies/births, spooky.

Personally I think there are better places to go if you have that amount of money to spare now.

WishICouldGiveUpWork Fri 02-Jun-06 20:27:27

We had a good time at Ickworth-bit "Boden Mummy" but very child friendly and lovely food.

tamum Fri 02-Jun-06 20:30:00

When we were at Woolley Grange last summer there was a family who had just come from there, and they said it had got a lot less child-friendly in the last few years they had been going. Can't vouch for how true that is, but they said there were restricted hours for children being in the pool and so on.

LadyCodofCOdford Fri 02-Jun-06 20:38:01

snort at olive

handlemecarefully Fri 02-Jun-06 20:50:19

What was Woolley Grange like tamum? - we bid for a weekend there and won it at a recent charity silent auction....Going in a couple of weeks time

tamum Fri 02-Jun-06 20:57:29

I love it there, hmc. Been there every year for 6 years in fact! I know some people on here have not liked it, but we've always had good experiences. If the weather's good the pool is great. We know the nannies and other staff now, so it always feels like seeing old friends too

handlemecarefully Fri 02-Jun-06 21:41:08

That's good to hear....

kitegirl Fri 02-Jun-06 22:16:41

I've been twice and both times it was full of media tossers from London off their heads on coke. The rooms in the stable block are fab though - got one of those bubble chairs that hangs from the ceiling. Wouldn't say it's worth the cost but that's what I say about most hotels in the UK...

bluesky Sat 03-Jun-06 12:58:46

hmc, you LUCKY thing, it's fab!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: