Talk

Advanced search

Tell me anything you know about Ireland, central-ish, with 3 dcs....

(7 Posts)
bramblina Mon 27-May-13 23:06:07

We'd like to go but have no idea where to head to...all we'd like to include is a visit to family near Cavan, central north of the republic, but if we ask them they'll insist we stay with them and as there's 5 of us we would really like to get a self catering unit instead and just visit them.
Kids are 1, 6 and 9, and we really like the coast.

AFingerofFudge Mon 27-May-13 23:11:44

Could you not head to somewhere like Westport (brilliant beaches, loads to do, plenty of options on accomodation, then call in to Cavan on the way back to Dublin

(haven't checked map but think it could be possible)

MelanieCheeks Mon 27-May-13 23:20:16

The bits round the edges tend to be more interesting than the middle or Ireland, unless you're mad keen on horses. Westport is a great suggestion as a base, or else further south in Kerry. Donegal has a wild windswept charm- any of you into surfing? How are you getting there- flying, driving?

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Mon 27-May-13 23:21:03

DiscoverIreland.ie is your friend.. you can also call and someone local can give you great ideas and tips. I live in cork so an no good to you but I work on the lines so I know you will get great info!

bramblina Mon 27-May-13 23:26:32

We'd drive, probably get the ferry to Belfast as we live in NW Scotland.
No, we don't surf.
Trouble with a website I find is that they just say that everywhere is fabulous! Which of course everywhere is but for different reasons, we need recommendations from families.
I just checked Westport for distances from Belfast and Cavan and it certainly seems do-able, it also looks good from Google Earth so it's definitely a good place to start, thank you!
Thanks Marceline I'll probably try that. Feel a bit silly saying we want to come but know nothing, I feel we should at least have somewhere we want to base our idea around! blush

EarlGreyTeabag Mon 27-May-13 23:50:22

If you are getting the ferry from Belfast you could always head north & visit the coast of Northern Ireland - it's beautiful & there is lots to do, for example the Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, Carrickfergus Castle to name but a few.

Then you could cross the border into Donegal, which is wild & wonderful, with fabulous beaches.

Westport is lovely, and Achill Island nearby is truly stunning.

The west coast of County Clare is gorgeous, and is not too far from Galway city which has lots to do.

Kerry & Cork in the south west are fabulous for their beaches & scenery, but it's a long drive from Cavan.

Some friends of ours stayed in a self-catering park in Cavan which had log cabins to stay in - unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, but they loved it.

I know I probably sound like a tourist brochure, but I moved here with Irish DH several years ago & I love the place. If you get good weather, there is nowhere like Ireland for a holiday - unfortunately it does rain a lot!

topsyturner Tue 28-May-13 00:13:19

We drive from Belfast to Connemara (about another hour past Westport) and the drive takes about 6 hours .
But it's so beautiful down there that its worth it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now