Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help with train fare pricing etc?

(7 Posts)
Radley Tue 16-May-06 18:51:23

DH surprised me today by telling me that he wants me to book a 10 day break, in the UK, near where one of my best mates lives (YES oh wise mnetter, you know who you are).

But, try as I might, I've not been able to get trainfares for under 300.00 for 3 of us, surely i should be able to get it cheaper, we are going in August from Leeds to Portsmouth.

Anyone got any ideas?

nellie245 Tue 16-May-06 18:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girrafey Wed 17-May-06 14:43:07

£214.75 i make it. 10 day return leeds to portsmouth. 2 changes and 5 and half hours.
thats with 2 adults and one child aged 5-15.
let me know if you need help finding that.

moondog Wed 17-May-06 14:45:51

It's so complicated eh???
Article about it in Observer recently.
They recommend paying for each leg of journey as apparently chaeaper (seemed a bit strange to me)
Go on Virgin website (sorry,no link) and tinker.
Do you have a family railcard for starters.
Might be worth getting one even for this one journey.

NotActuallyAMum Wed 17-May-06 14:49:53

It may be worth you buying a Family Railcard. My brother bought one a couple of years ago, can't remember how much it was but it entitled him to half-price rail travel for a year - worth it for this journey alone in your case

fairydust Wed 17-May-06 14:56:05

you may be able to get an apex ticket which is a non amedible non flex ticket you need to phone the rail company for that.

Also if you give date and rough time you may be able to get a back - back ticket cheaper which often work out cheaper.

lucyep Sat 27-May-06 15:12:24

I recommend you get a family railcard. It costs £20 for the year but the savings are great. We have one because we are having to do monthly visits up to Great Ormond Street Hospital.

I typed in a few details regarding your trip and you could get it for as cheap as £129.75 for 2 adults and one child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: