Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Ashford in Kent..??

(10 Posts)
AbsRugg Wed 10-Apr-13 21:44:53

I'm currently looking at relocating to Kent from the Surrey area, don't know areas well at all. Was looking at ramsgate, margate but have been advised against these areas tho when I had driven down there they seemed pretty nice! Understand there's good and bad everywhere but am looking for somewhere nice to live, not too sleepy that I can bring up a family.

What are people's opinions on Ashford??

MegBusset Wed 10-Apr-13 21:49:36

Ashford is minging. No, really. Soulless, horrible town centre. Nothing to recommend it that I can see.

There are loads nicer places in Kent but it really depends on budget and whether you need to commute and if so, where to. Canterbury would be my choice but if you have ££ to spend then Sevenoaks/T Wells/Tonbridge v popular. If you want coast then Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Sandwich, Deal all worth a look.

SpaceMonkeyMafia Wed 10-Apr-13 21:50:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpaceMonkeyMafia Wed 10-Apr-13 21:51:36

HobKnob Wed 10-Apr-13 21:54:10

Ashford is a soulless, expensive roundabout. Don't do it.

Try Canterbury instead, or Whitstable by the sea.

AbsRugg Fri 12-Apr-13 22:21:53

Thanks for your replies smile

Opinions on Ramsgate..?

MegBusset Sat 13-Apr-13 10:07:42

My parents lived in Ramsgate for a few years, it was a bit rough around the edges then (ten years or so ago) but I think is considered more 'up and coming' now. Lots of lovely Victorian houses, OK beach and near to Broadstairs. I think there's a high speed rail link to London now but could be wrong? No idea if the schools are any good.

I would put it as 'not as nice as Broadstairs, but nicer than Margate'.

DreamsTurnToGoldDust Sat 13-Apr-13 10:14:47

Abs, we are moving to Ramsgate/broadstairs soon for various reasons, have done quite a lot of research blush from what I can gather the main town bit is best avoided but the outskirts are looking ok, and the schools around seem fine.

Margates such a shame as there are some lovely houses but I think it would be a step to far for me.

DreamsTurnToGoldDust Sat 13-Apr-13 10:15:39

Ooops, yes there is a fast train service to London St Pancras from Ramsgate.

SpaceMonkeyMafia Sat 13-Apr-13 22:03:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now