Talk

Advanced search

UK road trip

(3 Posts)
backjustforaminute Sun 21-Oct-12 12:52:50

Gloomy october Sunday... I am daydreaming about hiring a car and doing a tour of the UK mainland next year, as I have lived abroad for the best part of a decade and before that, spent my whole life in a small area of north west England. The DC are 5 and 6 and have never been to Britain.

Has anyone done similar? What did you think? Would 2 weeks be long enough? I think the DC would like it as long as we don't spend too long in the car at once.

Which places shouldn't be missed? I would like to include the Scottish Highlands, and have never really been anywhere south of Liverpool blush so would like to see the south coast, Stonehenge, maybe the Fens and would also love to go to London (to see the sights and things like the Natural history museum) but not sure how long you'd need in London for it to be worthwhile.

This trip is a more realistic version of my long dreamed about USA adventure wink

BigBroomstickBIWI Sun 21-Oct-12 12:53:40

I think it's a fab idea, but you'll need a lot longer than 2 weeks - especially if you don't want to spend all your time in the car.

MaureenMLove Sun 21-Oct-12 13:03:57

Definately going to need more than 2 weeks! There are so many beautiful things to see.

I would think the best thing to do, is to get a map out and mark everywhere you want to go, then rank them in order of importance and pick 5 or 6 to visit, if you've only got 2 weeks.

I'd love to do that. I have spent years going to the Highlands, straight from London, so see an awful lot of lovely places along the way. Every time we go, I promise myself we'll do a road trip, but never have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now