Talk

Advanced search

All the Shakespeare places around Stratford. Any good? Really?

(10 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Oct-12 23:54:24

And of the five within the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, which would you recommend?

Just looking at the ticket price which covers all five. Not exactly cheap so I'm wondering if its worth it.

MrsjREwing Sat 20-Oct-12 23:57:09

We did Anne Hathaways cottage years ago in the summer, the gardens were lovely. I wouldn't go this time of year.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Oct-12 23:58:51

Oh thats disappointing, my mum said she wanted to go there. She likes her gardens so I'm sure it has more to do with that than wanting to see a bed.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Oct-12 00:00:38

Is it not worth seeing the cottage itself?

MrsjREwing Sun 21-Oct-12 00:02:07

There was a place in the garden you could sit and listen to sonets not sure what it was all about Shakespear over my head and it sparked an interest in the kids.

MrsjREwing Sun 21-Oct-12 00:03:08

yes cottage was lovely, just a shame to miss garden at best.

BackforGood Sun 21-Oct-12 00:07:11

I thought the ticket was one of those where you didn't have to use all parts at the same time.... so your Mum could see the gardens at a better time of year.
I suppose this only works if you live a relatively easy journey away. smile

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 21-Oct-12 11:10:53

Well we're about 2 1/2 hours away so possible to go back within 12 months but not that likely.

How long would you spend there? Its tiny isn't it?

Notquite Sun 21-Oct-12 11:20:12

The Birthplace is very interesting & Mary Arden's Farm is a museum of rural life and has a lot to look at if you have children in tow. It is a pricey ticket though.

joanofarchitrave Sun 21-Oct-12 11:27:19

Doing Stratford on the cheap, we enjoyed Holy Trinity Church which is where he was baptised and buried. You have to pay a little bit to go and look at some of the church. It's a nice walk back up the river too.

The original classroom in the grammar school was open when we were there - that was the best. I don't think it's open that often though [unhelpful].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now