Talk

Advanced search

Torquay - what is there to do in the rain?

(18 Posts)
KatzGold Thu 11-Oct-12 18:56:04

looking at half term destinations, found a lovely house to rent but what is there to do if it rains for 4 adults and 3 children aged 7 10 and 10?

The children like museums and the other normal things kids do.

KatzGold Thu 11-Oct-12 19:45:42

bump

out2lunch Thu 11-Oct-12 19:49:30

nothing imo

we went ten years ago it rained for a few days and i have v vivid memories of walking round and round to find somewhere to go in town centre - ugh

maybe its changed though....

SorrelForbes Thu 11-Oct-12 19:50:11

Ummm, can't think of anything much I'm afraid sad

KatyPeril Thu 11-Oct-12 19:51:19

There's a place called Bygones which my daughter loved. You probably need to like a history though!

CJMommy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:04:16

Indoor fun pool at the riviera centre, the rainbow fun house ( soft play), Kents cavern (underground tour of caves but quite interesting), trago mills in Newton Abbott ( shopping and rides for kids), bowling, steam train ride from Paignton ( a few miles down the road). I think there's lots to do- I spent every school holiday there growing up and now I take my own kids back there. I love it but am biased! Besides, it can be fun running in your wellies across the beach too grin

Purplemonster Thu 11-Oct-12 20:12:23

The local visitor information site is www.englishriviera.co.uk if you want ideas.
It does seem to rain a lot in Devon but I'd say there is as much to do around here as any other seaside town.

KatyPeril Thu 11-Oct-12 20:13:40

Ooh yes to the steam train ride!

Portofino Thu 11-Oct-12 20:13:46

DH wanted to go there for a few days between Xmas and NY. I refused grin

PandaNot Thu 11-Oct-12 20:14:50

There's not much to do in the sun so I'm all out of ideas for the rain!

smalltown Thu 11-Oct-12 20:18:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amistillsexy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:21:02

Erm...My sister was conceived during a holiday in Torquay.

Be careful!

Unless you're tcc, in which case, go for it!

grin

50ShadesOfShit Thu 11-Oct-12 20:21:15

I live there and there's loads!!!!
Only joking grin
There's Kents Cavern, Bygones and the model village (not in the rain!) all in the Babbacombe area.
There is a lovely new PlayCafe but at 7,10 and 10 I think both there and Rainbow may be a little young.
There's the steam train to Kingswear with a ferry to Dartmouth, but again, not ideally wet weather friendly. sad
Our favourite things to do in the bad weather are; Decoy Country Park, 15 mins drive from Tqy, there's a park, nature walk, lake etc. Theres also Haldon Forest (20-25mins) which is more of the same, and opposite Trago Mills if you wanted to make a day of it. The coastal path walks are, quite frankly, amazing if you have a dry day and want to explore grin. There's also China Blue, a pottery factory where you can decorate your own piece, or Cockington Court to see the blacksmiths and glass blowers before a lovely, bloody lovely, dinner at The Drum Inn. Hope you have a brilliant time.

41notTrendy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:21:17

We had the world's rainiest holiday down there. Paignton zoo was alright. I know it's lovely in Devon but I shudder at the thought of a holiday there ever again.

out2lunch Thu 11-Oct-12 20:26:04

yep did the zoo at paignton in the rain - i will never forget the terror that is the flying parrot show

i think we stayed at the inspiration for fawlty towers

KatzGold Thu 11-Oct-12 21:11:54

thanks i think!

The house is really lovely so may just risk it!

Hulababy Thu 11-Oct-12 21:21:13

Hmmm - it's not looking very positive!

So can anyone suggest anywhere else down south that they think there's enough to do - anywhere else in North Devon, Dorset, Sussex, Kent???

KatyPeril Thu 11-Oct-12 21:25:22

I had my most favourite holiday there if that helps.....? Don't listen to the naysayers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now