Talk

Advanced search

Off to lovely Dumfries and Galloway. What to see?

(13 Posts)
Roseformeplease Fri 28-Sep-12 18:15:16

We are off in a week and will be there for a week in a cottage, near Thornhill. We have two children - Early High school / Late Primary. Ay ideas on things to see / lovely walks etc. I will read all the tourist stuff but local knowledge helps. Not worried about the weather as we already live in the wet bit of Scotland. Thanks

meditrina Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:08

I went looking for the Five Red Herrings body dumping site! Possibly not that interesting for children, but a nice walk.

Roseformeplease Fri 28-Sep-12 18:25:14

? Will google ? Intriguing.

meditrina Fri 28-Sep-12 18:32:57

Found this 'movie map'; have you read the book?

Judo54 Sat 29-Sep-12 11:36:12

Hi there, have a look on http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/see-do/attractions/ - has good overview of the area. Walks around Drumlanrig Estate lovely and good play park there.. Moniave really nice too - striding arches walks great. Have a fab time..

SoniaGluck Sun 30-Sep-12 00:07:13

Have a great time! Just got back today after a week near Castle Douglas.

We went to Kirkcudbright, Gatehouse of Fleet, Newton Stewart and did a lot of forest walking with the dog - often dodging homicidal nutters on bikes grin - but we didn't make it to the Minnoch as DH is a miserable bastard hasn't read the book and wasn't up for it.

Kirkcudbright is worth seeing and there are several galleries and a museum as well as the harbour and a ruined castle. I also really liked Gatehouse and there were some lovely walks.

We had a great time and can't wait to go back.

bekind Sun 30-Sep-12 21:05:12

Cream of Galloway ice cream place is great fun. Threave (National Trust) garden was also terrific, we didn't go in the house but the garden had plenty of variety and had some sort of kids trail. Plenty of forest cycling - choose your route for family cycling. We went to Rockcliffe in October and had a glorious time on the coast. Drumlanrig was good too.

raindroprhyme Sun 30-Sep-12 21:22:27

Drumlanrig Castle is a great day out, the adventure playground is awesome for any age. Happy potter in Thornhill is great to entertain the kids for an hour or so paintign pots if the weather is horrendous.

Head along the coast it is beautiful and lots of lovely beaches and tearooms/pubs Rockcliffe/Kippford are my favourite and teh Anchor does a mean pub lunch. Mersehead is a great walk any weather and is an RSPB site so generally there is a ranger about to do age appropiate stuff with the kids.

Caerlaverock CAstle is also a must also a proper castle as my DS2 says with a tea room attached to hide from the rain.

Laggan Outdoor at GAtehouse of fleet do lots of outdoor activities Zorbing, arcchery off roadign segway, longest zip wire in britain.

Wanlockhead is worth a visit too.

Glenkiln Statue Walk is fab too.

these tours are a fun way to find out about Dumfries's chequred past Burke and hare and all that. Mostly Ghostly

Have a fabulous time I am very proud to call this region home it is the most beautful place in the world.

Check on here for any local events that maybe happening the week you are here. The links page is also useful.

Caerlaverock Sun 30-Sep-12 21:27:01

Caerlaverock castle obv! The dark skies tours sound fabulous but prob a but too far from thornhill. Have a lovely time!

PigeonsCanClimbStairs Sun 30-Sep-12 21:31:19

The Chocolate Factory - just outside Kirkcudbright on the way to Gatehouse - chocolate making classes for kids, a giant outside play area (with sand and gold mining) or big jumpy ball place inside if it's miserable. And they do tasty dinners.

I think the nicest beach is Sandyhills (near Rockcliffe iirc)

Second The Cream of Galloway ice cream place - giant play area (with a zip line!) in the woods

Have a lovely time!

MarianForrester Sun 30-Sep-12 21:32:03

Fussi's Italian cafe in Thornhill (think official name is the drumlanrig cafe? It's on the corner in the middle) does fabulous cappuccino and tasty bacon rolls. It's not glamourous, but coffee is great.

Depends how far you want to drive, but Caerlaverock Castle is worth a visit/ plus has play park and tearoom. Lots of good castles around! Cardoness and Orchardton Tower too. Plus the bird bit at Caerlaverock there has good things on with the geese arriving.

Cocoa Bean chocolate factory at Twynholm is great for making chocolate and playing. and second Cream of Galloway.

MsHighwater Sun 30-Sep-12 21:33:20

Cream o'Galloway is fab
So is Cocoa Bean Company
Mabie Farm Park
We found the the Gem Rock Museum unexpectedly fascinating. Your ticket is valid for re-entry on subsequent days and it's worth visiting for the pancakes in the cafe alone.
Those are highlights. We live the area and love that it's only a couple of hours from us. Enjoy!

Roseformeplease Sun 30-Sep-12 21:49:21

Thank you all so much. I love that many, many suggestions involve food - my favourite holiday activity. Only 5 days to go and really excited now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now