Talk

Advanced search

What to do in Guernsey? Got a 3 day break there starting tomorrow.

(19 Posts)
grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 12:40:33

Any recommendations?

grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 12:44:31

Oh dear. Is it that dull?

EssexGurl Wed 26-Sep-12 12:58:47

We went in the summer and loved the beaches, but not quite sure the kids (6 and 3) would have enjoyed it otherwise. So, I think it depends on if you have kids with you and what ages they are. The castle is good. The aquarium is pants - don't bother. The underground military museum was very good - but depends on childrens ages. There is supposed to be a good indoor play centre at Oatlands Centre - but we didn't need to use it as the weather was so good. St Peters Port has nice shopping. Lots of WW2 towers to look at - a bit dull for me but DH liked them.

To be honest, it is a bit dull but probably enough stuff to tide you over for a few days.

Sorry!!

Limonata Wed 26-Sep-12 13:04:58

Grovel, Guernsey is absolutely wonderful! There are many lovely things to do. Try a long cliff walk along the South Coast, beautiful views. Take a day trip to Herm if the weather allows. St Peter Port (or 'Town' to the locals) is great for a potter about, very pretty and French with nice coffee shops. If you're interested in history go to Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's house (he was exiled there) the German Occupation museum and Underground hospital are also very interesting. Above all I would try and get out and walk or better still hire bikes and explore the west coast. The beaches are beautiful. Oh and le Petit Bistro in town is a lovely cosy restaurant for an evening out. Have a lovely time!

LillianGish Wed 26-Sep-12 13:10:31

Not dull at all - I love the channel islands. Hire a car - much cheaper than in UK and drive round the island. The beauty of Guernsey is that it is so small you can never get lost (just get back on the coast road and drive back to where you started). It is is absolutely beautiful with loads of lovely beaches and coves I can think of nothing better than driving round the coast and stopping off wherever takes your fancy for lunch, an ice cream, a coffee, stroll. If you want an actual day out then Castle Cornet is great and also the underground hospital. You could also do a day trip to one of the other islands depending on the weather - Sark is lovely and traffic-free so you can hire bikes and explore. Very jealous - lucky you.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 26-Sep-12 13:15:39

DH and I went for a week when I was pg with DC1. We hired bikes and it poured with rain for nearly the whole week. We still had fun, even though we were soaking wet and puffing most of the time (very hilly island).

There's an excellent, very posh, crazy golf course at the Oatlands Centre. We did a day trip to Herm and walked all the way round the island, which was lovely and relaxing. Castle Cornet was interesting. We also did some surfing and sea kayaking, which was fantastic.

soverylucky Wed 26-Sep-12 13:16:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 26-Sep-12 13:22:16

We visited the Little Chapel too

grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 13:29:16

Thanks, everyone.

I have visited various websites etc. You have helped me prioritise.

Limonata Wed 26-Sep-12 13:31:36

To add..if you're on Facebook, there is a Herm page you can 'like' and see all the wonderful photos visitors have posted over the summer. Granted, it won't look Bajan now (it did in August!), but it'll give you an idea. I would avoid any of the 'Guernsey Candles' / 'Guernsey Coppercraft' type places though... smile

grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 13:38:07

Limonata, my DH's sigh would put me off going anywhere near crafty places. Good to know I won't be missing much. Thanks.

Limonata Wed 26-Sep-12 14:02:39

grovel grin I'm hoping that the little beach kiosks will still be open, as they are a fantastic place to get a nice cup of tea and a really good doorstop piece of cake, or a bit of buttered Guernsey Gache (pronounced 'gosh') - a lovely local fruit loaf. Really hope you enjoy it!

grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 14:13:51

It's a birthday treat from my DH. He wanted to go somewhere we've never been before. The cake sounds great and the hotel looks lovely so I'm really rather looking forward to it.

Guernseygal Wed 26-Sep-12 14:39:23

Third time I've tried to post this! I live in Guernsey and whilst i don't think it's dull it is a make your own fun sort of place. We have young children and spend most of the winter on the beach rockpooling/ surfing/ walking/ cooking campfire suppers etc. Outdoor Guernsey is a great company if you fancy something active like coaststeering and would second a trip to Herm or Sark. Also walks along the cliff paths. And lots of eating and drinking! Town has some pleasant shops for a mooch one afternoon and its obviously tax free shopping. Hope you have a lovely few days.

Guernseygal Wed 26-Sep-12 14:41:00

And I would recommend a car although the buses aren't bad. Depends where you are staying.

grovel Wed 26-Sep-12 14:53:09

Guernseygal, thanks. We are staying at the Bella Luce - think DH has arranged to have a car.

KatMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Sep-12 15:23:04

Hi there, we've moved this into Travel > UK now, thanks.

Guernseygal Thu 27-Sep-12 09:26:55

Bella Luce is lovely and a great location for the south coast cliffs. Also good for places to eat Captains (pub with decent food), Douvres (hotel with bar and restaurant and often live music). The Spa is also very good although expensive and not so much of a Spa as treatment rooms!

FriendofDorothy Sat 29-Sep-12 22:53:22

Hi, Sorry I missed this. I live in Guernsey and absolutely love it - moved back last year after living in the UK for 15 years. I hope you found some nice things to do - please report back what you got up to!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: