Talk

Advanced search

So we're going to Center Parcs...

(20 Posts)
nomoreminibreaks Wed 05-Sep-12 22:08:58

What do I need to know? We're in the new style woodland lodge for a weekend in Whinfell Forest.

TIA!

PS. Yes, we'll take lubricant!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Sep-12 22:11:18

Watch out for breast implants in the rapids! Dh found one bobbing about when we went to Sherwwod one.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Sep-12 22:11:45

Not an implant, like a chicken fillet/fake thingy.

SingingSands Wed 05-Sep-12 22:16:31

What time of year are you going? We went to Whinfell in January yonks ago and the lodge was freezing. I wish we'd taken an extra duvet!

It was quite an old lodge and several years ago, so they might have been updated since, but the central heating was pathetic and it made me grumpy being cold all the time.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 05-Sep-12 22:23:42

Take bird food to chuck out the patio doors for the wildlife.

If you have a B&m near you get some cheap fire logs from there. Cheaper than at centre parcs.

The morning you leave, get up early to fetch your car and get it parked near your lodge or you might struggle parking. Loads of cheeky buggers fetch the cars the night before and leave parked all over the verges overnight! Winds me up.

nomoreminibreaks Wed 05-Sep-12 22:25:17

We're going next weekend, so I'm hoping it won't be too cold! Taking DS who's 18 months.

I too get grumpy when cold...

workshy Wed 05-Sep-12 22:26:18

take food with you

the on site shop and restaurants are stupidly over priced

ilikesweetpeas Wed 05-Sep-12 22:30:10

Go to Penrith on the way and do food shopping at Cranstons food hall- v tasty local meat and food! Take fire logs and bird food as suggested above. Have fun! I love going there

Squeegle Wed 05-Sep-12 22:31:33

Make sure you book DS into the time out club for a morning and go to the spa- its fab!

Squeegle Wed 05-Sep-12 22:32:27

Agree re taking your own food by the way, the on site supermarket is silly money

ImpatientOne Wed 05-Sep-12 22:37:19

Torches - we were in the apartments at Whinfell so central but it was still very dark getting back at night and we needed extra light to avoid the puddles!

nomoreminibreaks Tue 11-Sep-12 14:36:35

Can anyone tell me what the cots are like that come with the lodges? Wondering whether to take our own travel cot as DS isn't the best sleeper!

nomoreminibreaks Tue 11-Sep-12 14:37:40

And thanks for the other advice! I now have a long packing list... smile

amck5700 Tue 11-Sep-12 14:50:55

tbh I dont find the local shop that bad. they do lovely hot savourys which make a reasonably priced lunch after swimming. There are loads of activities that aren't that expensive - e.g. table tennis, soft tennis, outdoor bowling. We always arrive early with our swimming stuff in a seperate bag, leave the car and take our bikes up to the pool and enjoy the facilities while madness ensues with people trying to get their cars up to unpack. We take a jar of pasta sauce and a bag of pasta with us, head across to the cabin after 3 and have our dinner and then go and get the car and unpack - much more civilised smile

I have never found the lodges cold, it's been a while since we were there in winter tho and even longer since we've needed a cot.

Enjoy - wish it was us!! - been to Winfell about 10 times now and always have a good time. the italian restaurant is probably the best one now - but in general the waiting times for food can be quite long so be prepared!! the french bistro type place used to be very good but think it was getting changed to something else.

halloweeneyqueeney Wed 19-Sep-12 13:03:13

hi can I jump in with a few questions?

do you need firelighters?
do you need bike locks (hiring bikes)?
what are the washing facilities like (bringing a potty training LO)?
thanks

amck5700 Wed 19-Sep-12 14:59:39

1/ Never had a fire but sure there are firelighters in the shop
2/They give you a bike lock - think they erae all the same key though smile
3/There is a launderette but never used it - always had the car so just just brought mountains of clothes - toddlers stuff is small so you can squish in lots and you can always pick up an extra couple of pairs of joggy bottoms from primark or something for next to nothing.

halloweeneyqueeney Wed 19-Sep-12 15:19:50

thanks

I will bring enough clothes, but don't wanna live with week old festering accident pants so will want them washed

amck5700 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:14:52

lol - if they were dirty I'd bin them and wet ones I'd rinse through in the bathroom - but there definitely is a launderette. It's just by the cycle hire place. That is if you are going to Whinfell?! - Never been to any of the others but love whinfell smile You'll have a fab time.

cornzy Wed 19-Sep-12 16:16:34

I love centerparcs
Lots of warm clothes, hats and gloves
lots of chocolate smile and wine

Yankeecandlequeen Wed 03-Oct-12 15:50:10

I don't find the lodges cold at all. We go every winter (and was there during the snow of December 2010) and they were lovely & snug.

If you do go shopping before you go to Penrith, stop at Morrisons & get your lunch there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now