Talk

Advanced search

beaches in wales with rockpools please

(17 Posts)
nonsense0name Sun 26-Aug-12 20:12:38

next year we have to go to a beach with rockpools....apparently smile

I'd like to go to wales and so would be grateful for recommendations for beaches with sand and rockpools please. We have a mixture of ages so easy access to the beach essential with a buggy etc.

Thanks for any help. x

rosy71 Sun 26-Aug-12 22:22:21

Manorbier, near Tenby.

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 26-Aug-12 22:23:16

Druidstone Haven, near Haverfordwest.

mammadothebump Sun 26-Aug-12 22:31:08

Rhosneigr on anglesey is well worth looking at. Near raf valley so high chance of bumping into will and kate!

Hanleyhigh Sun 26-Aug-12 22:34:48

Just about to say Rhosneigr but beaten to it smile

floozietoozie Sun 26-Aug-12 22:48:10

Rest Bay in Porthcawl.

beela Thu 30-Aug-12 12:45:33

I was going to say Rest Bay too! Lovely beach.

serin Thu 30-Aug-12 20:48:07

Whistling sands (or Porth Oer to give its Welsh name).

Best rock pools ever!

serin Thu 30-Aug-12 20:49:16

....and best sand smile

franticallyjugglinglife Thu 30-Aug-12 21:20:33

Little haven and broad haven. Lovely part of the world too. smile

Dazzledbytinfoil Thu 30-Aug-12 21:25:16

Rhoisnegr is lovely BUT if the weather is poor Anglesey is freezing

maxmissie Thu 30-Aug-12 21:40:00

Go to the Gower Peninsula near Swansea, there are loads of great beaches concentrated fairly close together, some big and sandy, some small coves, some with rockpools and some with both. Some easy to access, some not so easy.

Suggestions to start with would be Bracelet Bay (mainly rockpools/stones but next to road and car park, Italian restaurant that is good for kids and and good play area above), Caswell Bay (sandy, next to road and car park, cafe and toilets, good waves), Langland (not been there but supposed to be sandy), Three Cliffs Bay (amazing setting, sandy I think but tricky to get to as I think it can only be accessed by public footpaths or along a long beach), Oxwich Bay (sandy I think, long time since I've been but big beach and close to road), Port Eynon (mix of sand and stones, rockpools, big beach, next to road and close to car park, great fish and chip shop - the middle one in the row of shops overlooking the dunes, ruined building at one end to explore, pub nearby), Rhosilli (very sandy and big beach but loads and loads of steps to get down to it, good for surfing and body boarding), Llangennith (northern end of Rhosilli beach, car park about 5 mins from beach have to walk along path through dunes which gets sandy in parts, massive beach, mainly sandy but dunes behind and possibly rock pools at one end, cafe on campsite where the car park is).

There are some more but I've not been to them and not sure they are so easy to access. You could go to a different beach every day and not leave the Gower, it's great!

More info on this website www.the-gower.com/beaches/beaches.htm - which indicates there are 28 beaches!

PrincessOfWails Sun 02-Sep-12 23:19:41

Nah, just a bit windy in Anglesey! <denial emoticon> Several good beaches around the island, and lots to do if it is freezing slightly less warm too.

Dazzledbytinfoil Wed 05-Sep-12 23:27:36

PrincessofWails - ! The "sealife museum" is basically a fishmongers, ds spent minutes looking at plaice,crab and shrimps! And a picture of a sharkhmm did the whole plaice (ahem) in under an hour. Crap! Did love anglesey generally mind but it is Baltic if it's not sunny. Fact

DeathMetalMum Sat 08-Sep-12 16:02:07

Another in Anglesey is Benllech good access to the beach for a pushchair too as there is a concrete ramp for boat access.

Alot of the caravan and camping that we went to when growing up you could get right onto the rocks through a gate at the bottom of the field or wherever with plenty of rockpools there too.

Another good point from rhosneiger is you may also catch the red arrows practicing over the beach. Have been lucky enough to see them a few times whilst there.

MildlyMonica Mon 17-Sep-12 16:30:36

I second maxmissie - beaches she mentioned are all fab and Langland is also sandy with fab rockpools at either end (with another little beach joined on called Rotherslade (with sand and rockpools too!)

3rdnparty Sat 22-Sep-12 09:00:24

I third the gower... at low tide can walk from langland bay to rotherslade over rocks ! favourite bit of ds holiday grin also if weather not great good leisure centre in Swansea and if weather good there is a flat cycle path from mumbles that goes past a cafe/park lido just before you get to Swansea - brassiere at Langland did lovely breakfast and cafe at other end did great bacon rolls and good coffee - Oxwich good for kite flying with rockpooling at the side ...we loved the Gower !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now