Midlands weekend away; Chester? Self catering?

(14 Posts)
bunnybunyip Thu 23-Aug-12 15:22:36

Hello
We are after a family weekend away; grandparents, me and dh, toddler and baby. No more than about 2 hours drive from Leicester. Probably self catering would be easiest. I was thinking about Chester so we could visit the zoo. We have done lots of the Cotswolds and Derbyshire already. Anybody any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
HeathRobinson Thu 23-Aug-12 15:25:03

York?
Cathedral, river, walls, Jorvik, train museum.

bunnybunyip Thu 23-Aug-12 17:39:27

Thanks Heathrobinson. Unfortunately I am originally from York so we have spent quite a bit of time there! Lovely p,ace for a weekend break, I agree.

Llareggub Thu 23-Aug-12 17:44:11

Stratford?

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 17:46:06

Chester is great loads to do grosvenor park is nice and has a little train running round it, also can't beat feeding the ducks on the river. Zoo is a fab day out definitely can fill a day there.

bunnybunyip Thu 23-Aug-12 17:47:09

Any ideas for places to stay oddslippers?

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 17:54:56

What sort of accommodation are you after? There is a premier inn about a mile from the centre, loads of b&b's in Hoole, crowne plaza right in the centre that has a pool or nice country hotels but a bit further out.

bunnybunyip Thu 23-Aug-12 18:27:30

Hi, with the 2 dcs we need either a family room (premier inn usually good for thesei find), or preferably self catering so we will have a lounge to relax with the GPs when kids are asleep. Will be out of season so I was hoping to get a short break deal somewhere.

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 18:45:05

Premier inn is in a good location but i agree that self catering offers a bit more freedom
this is very close to the centre
Will try to find some more

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 18:53:34

about 25 mins away
[[ 3 miles from centre on same side as zoo

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 18:58:12

loads to choose from put Chester on search page

bunnybunyip Thu 23-Aug-12 21:13:48

Sorry, was just getting kids to bed. Some great possibilities there, thanks, I'll have a proper browse tomorrow.

oddslippers Thu 23-Aug-12 21:28:58

No worries, hope you have a great time smile

rosy71 Fri 24-Aug-12 23:02:34

I'd agree that Grosvenor Park is nice. You can also walk around the walls and take a boat trip on the river. There's a Roman ampitheatre too. Visiting the zoo will fill a whole day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in