off to centre parcs but DD2 can't get her poorly hand wet! What can we do instead of swimming?(18 Posts)
DD2 has burnt her hand and can't get it wet for 2 weeks. She's only 20 months so unfortunately she won't understand the explanation. We were really looking forward to her and her sister splashing about in the shallow end together. We think it is best to keep her away from the pool altogether so not to risk it, what can we do instead at CP with the kids (20m and 4.5), any ideas? Going next week so it will be COLD!
trying to be practical - not negative - but had you thought about trying to delay your stay? the pool is one of the main things at a CP if i remember rightly. i am sure if you rang them they would be sympathetic. such a shame for your other DC if she can't go in either. do you have any travel insurance?
There's a kind of waterproof bag thing you can buy for anyone who has a broken leg/arm but needs to get in the bath etc, perhaps you could look into getting one of them?? I can't remember their name now, otherwise I'd post a link, but maybe someone else will know??
Thats a good idea Mummymeister and I am sure they would let you delay under the circumstances. The pool area for your childrens ages are really the main thing for them to enjoy, which one are you going to? We came back y/day from Elvedon, had a lovely w/end but the pool water was chilly!
We do have travel insurance but I'm not sure if it will cover it cancellation. I am certain CP won't be sympathetic, I reckon they are massively money grabbing looking at the prices they charge in school holidays! I will ring insurance tomorrow though. I think that it won't cover it, because we can still go, we just can't go in the pool. I wonder if we say to the insurance that itss because the hospital want to see us again next week (they do, we had to say we'd try and get the wound seen at a local GP clinic instead).
I thought about taping plastic bags round her hand but as she won't understand she can't get it wet it will be a blooming nightmare unless these bag things are absolutely watertight! I will have a google and see.
We are going to Elvedon triplets! I wonder if we do ask to delay rather than cancel altogether they might agree. I will ring and ask, I am not hopeful though!
Do you know where in the parc you are staying? We had a 2bed exec new style, it was fab, in Maple. 5mins walk from the village so really didn`t need bikes. They are refurbishing lots of the villas, so there is work going on but it doesn`t spoil things at all. I would delay for a couple of weeks if I was you, look on line and see whats available in a few weeks time to give you some idea.
thanks smalltown. It says not suitable for swimming on those. I think they would be good for occasional splashes but I just know DD is going to keep trying to put her whole hand in water! She's a monkey!
We have annual travel insurance so will ring them.
Are you going to Elvedon smalltown? We also thought about booking the creche for a couple of sessions DD2 so we can take DD1 swimming but I feel really bad sticking her in the creche when I've taken time off work. The other option is splitting up so one of us takes DD1 swimming and the other stays with DD2 but it makes such a sad family holiday, plus they love playing together so much, DD2 is a nightmare to look after in comparison when she's on her own!
I got a brilliant arm cover for my husband when he had a picc line in his arm.
I will definitely ask triplets. Not so easy to change DH's holiday at work but will see what could be done. We're fairly far out I think it's number 326, I didn't pay the extra for the villas closer to the centre, have a new style woodland which we've stayed in before . We went to Whinfell last year and Sherwood the year before and I don't mind walking with buggy. Went to Elvedon last when I was 13!
That link looks good triplets, that says you can use for swimming if sensible, can completely submerge and will take actual measurements of baby's arm and make to size for no extra cost, and looking at the cost of a 2 year old standard sized one it should be under a tenner! Definitely worth a go if we can't change for a different date.
A friend of mine went on holiday after her dd had broken her arm and it was in plaster cast. She had a special waterproof cover for it and she could completely immerse it in the water. You should contact the hospital and ask them.
If you can't change the holiday and want to do other things apart from swimming then I advise you to book things in advance as they get booked up. With the age gap your dds have they probably wouldn't play together in the water much anyway as your older dd would like the lazy river , wave pool etc, so could split up for a bit.
We went to Whinfell when my trio were 2, 12 years ago! We loved it up there but its a hike from Kent!
smalltown. I think it might be OK for a bit but reading the information on the other site its for "splashing about" rather than swimming, but I will definitely give one of those sites a go if all else fails. Good plan re taping bag to head!
We went to Whinfell last year had great time, hope you have a lovely time with your eldest as well.
They're really close Frankie, DD1 would have stuck to DD2 the whole time, she would have been in charge and we could have sat back and just kept an eye out for drowning . DD1 scared of the wave pool!
Bit late for you, but my daughter has broken her ankle and I just ordered a cover from here http://www.protectacast.com/products/short-arm-covers Seems to be a bit more hardcore than that other link lol. She's off to CO with her Dad next week so I hope she'll at least be able to go in the waves.
Join the discussion
Please login first.