Daffodils - tell me everything about the lake district

(11 Posts)
LordFlashheart Sun 01-Jan-12 19:19:06

I've never been to the lake district and would like to go for half term in June? Where's good to stay? We would like to self cater -2 adults, 2 children, what are the best things to do, and is there anything else I need to know?!

OP’s posts: |
HarrietJones Sun 01-Jan-12 19:22:00

What do you like doing?

How old are the Dc?

LordFlashheart Sun 01-Jan-12 19:24:49

We like walking ( but not too much as my youngest will only be 3), beautiful scenery, tea shops, outdoor activities like adventure playgrounds and museums that the kids will like. my other child is 7.

HarrietJones Sun 01-Jan-12 19:32:09

Parks. Brockhole & Fellfoot both on Windermere.
Boats on Windermere or gondola on Coniston.
Boat /kayak/canoe hire on Coniston.
Beatrix Potter museum in Bowness
Sizergh Barn for little walk & nice tearoom(watch the cows get milked)
South Lakes animal park in Dalton ( bit further south)
Duckys farm park in Flookbourgh( further south).
Lots of little national trust places if you have membership.

LordFlashheart Sun 01-Jan-12 19:41:36

Where's the best place to get a cottage?

wornoutbutstillwonderful Sun 01-Jan-12 19:47:58

Ambleside is central to most things, have a look inhttp://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/

wornoutbutstillwonderful Sun 01-Jan-12 19:49:36

Sorry try again www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/

VivaLeBeaver Sun 01-Jan-12 19:58:22

I love borrowdale, think it has the nicest walking. Buttermere village also gorgeous. Catbells is a nice easy peak to climb. There are two fab books called something like northern lakes walks with children and southern lakes walks with children.

Lovely pub in rosthwaite village, tea shop as well I think. Nice riverside walks from there and also a nice walk over to the tarn at watendlath.

Grizedale forest has a nice sculpture trail and visitor centre.

My brother says the south lakes animal park is nice but I've never been.

If the kids are old enough then the via ferrata at honnister pass would be good.

HarrietJones Sun 01-Jan-12 20:05:35

How did I forget Grizedale blush

VivaLeBeaver Sun 01-Jan-12 20:11:25

book

kendalcottages Mon 02-Jan-12 12:16:11

I would say the southern Lakes is better than the northern Lakes for walks with a toddler. Walks such as Orrest Head and Gummers Howe are attainable for a 3 year old (perhaps with the help of a carry on the shoulders if he/she gets a little weary). Walks such as around Rydal are also pleasant and achievable.

I live in Kendal which lies on the edge of the Lake District National Park and is also close to the Yorkshire Dales. There's loads to see and do here within easy reach. Walks up to Kendal Castle, lots of cafés, various events taking place at the Brewery Arts Centre, soft play centre, Sizergh Castle (National Trust), Levens Hall, walks around Kentmere, etc. etc. This is also Postman Pat country if you're little one is into that! smile

You have easy access from here to places like the World of Beatrix Potter Attraction, Windermere Lake Cruises, Brockhole, Lakes Aquarium, South Lakes Wild Animal Park, Ducky Park Farm, Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway, etc. etc.

If you're interested, we have a lovely riverside self-catering place here which sleeps 4, but I don't know when your half term falls and it's already nearly booked up for June. ( www.kendalcottages.com if you'd like to read more).

Wherever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I may be a little biased but it is a lovely part of the world. smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in