Talk

Advanced search

Cheapest train tickets online??

(11 Posts)
blueskydrinking Tue 18-Oct-11 17:21:34

I'm hoping to book train tickets for a day trip to London next week (midland mainline to St Pancras) but the fares are ridiculous on the trainline . com.

Does anybody know a way to get hold of bargain tickets?! I guess the times I'm looking to travel at are going to have to be peak, which doesn't help.

hocuspontas Tue 18-Oct-11 17:26:23

Have you tried Megabus?

blueskydrinking Tue 18-Oct-11 18:48:23

Thanks, hocuspontas .

Prices are MUCH better but no good for a day trip - earliest we could get there would be midday.

I'll keep that site in mind in the future, though.

mummytime Tue 18-Oct-11 19:26:17

You could try again in a few days. I bought tickets to Birmingham (from London area) the other week, on Monday it would have cost £45 for 2 of us, on Wednesday some cheaper tickets were released making it £17. Alternatively could you stay over at a travel lodge or YHS hostel, it might be cheaper than peak travel.

blueskydrinking Wed 19-Oct-11 07:40:57

Ooh I'll do that then - thanks.

It might be easier just to drive down to Cockfosters and tube in from there... but I want to take DS on a train... <stamps feet>

smile

PS a stupid question - is there a concessional price for 2 year olds or do they pay the same as an adult? On megabus it said that concessions are only available in Scotland. It's a long time since I've been on a train in the UK!

ASuitableGirl Wed 19-Oct-11 07:49:57

2 year olds are free.....but it can be cheaper to get a friends and family railcard and then pay for the 2 year old as it can end up cheaper that way as you will save on your ticket and pay not much for his. Railcard costs £24 for a year.

The trainline also charges a fee which other websites like redspottedhanky and eastcoast don't.

mummymeister Thu 20-Oct-11 15:45:03

ASG is right my friends and family railcard is fantastic. just go onto the trainline site and type in that you have a card and check out the difference in prices. once you have one you will get lots of use out of it i guarantee you.

blueskydrinking Thu 20-Oct-11 18:10:44

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the website but the F&F card is for children 5-15 as far as I can see? Why it doesn't include younger children I'm not sure so maybe I read it incorrectly...

ASuitableGirl Thu 20-Oct-11 20:43:29

You are allowed to have one if your child is under 5, you just need to buy them a ticket (which you wouldn't normally do if they are under 5) but it means your ticket will also be much cheaper than it otherwise would. I think it does mention it somewhere, but it definitely can be done.

ASuitableGirl Thu 20-Oct-11 20:46:53

Here's what is says on their website

"All kids under five travel free - and each adult may take up to two 'under fives' with them. However, if the only child in the group is under five, you'll need to purchase a discounted child ticket to qualify for the adult Railcard discount. All child fares are subject to a £1 minimum fare"

Ponders Thu 20-Oct-11 20:50:43

try the Virgin site too - prices should be the same, they don't charge any fees & it doesn't have to be one of their routes

it'll be too late for next week but you can buy railcards with clubcard vouchers (half price)

& you can use them for redspottedhanky at 3 for 1

& also megabus at 2 for 1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now