Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a cottage/lodge in southern Scotland close to the beach.

(8 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:06:24

I am looking at renting a cottage/lodge next August for a week. I have been looking at lots of different locations but quite fancy trying Scotland, mainly as its somewhere we havn't been!
Wondering if anyone could reccomend anywhere? We have to DC's who will be 8 and 5 and are not bothered about any fancy facilities like hot tubs etc. Our only real requirements are that we would like to be a short walk from the sea and have a minimum of 2 bedrooms in a nice area with opportunities for days out. We have a max budget of around £550 but the cheaper the better! Forgot to say as I am the only driver I would prefer Southern Scotland to cut down on the traveling time!

pinkmagic1 Wed 05-Oct-11 09:19:35

Bump

Bunbaker Sun 09-Oct-11 20:48:55

Sandyhills in Dumfries and Galloway.

We stayed here a few years ago. It is one bedroom - the other bed was in the living area, but it is only minutes from a lovely sandy beach. We had a lovely holiday there.

There is also a holiday village that looks really nice. We had a nosey around when we were there. We don't normally "do" holiday villages, but this one looked really appealing

Proon Sun 09-Oct-11 20:56:15

Look at Landmark Trust, they have a few stunners (definitely book now).
(I don't know prices!)

liz01246 Wed 19-Oct-11 17:18:06

hi

i use this company all the time and they have lodges and cottages in Scotland and I spoke to MIchael who was most helpful,

www.michaelpaulholidays.co.uk

PieMistress Fri 21-Oct-11 12:34:29

I would second Dumfries & Galloway. We have been there the past 2 years and there is loads to do for children (ie/ the cream o'galloway is ace!). I can't recommend any accommodation specifically as we were never within walking distance of the many gorgeous beaches but, location wise, I think it ticks all your boxes

montysma1 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:41:49

We stayed in an apartment called Glenashdale Apartment, on the Island of Arran in southern scotland. It was pretty cheap compared to some accomadation on the island (£400 per week) and was quite rommy with 2 bedrooms. It was also on the sea front, so seconds from the beach.

Arran is quite a big island with loads to do. lovely beaches, quaint villages, spectacular mountains , lochs, boat trips, castles, caves, standing stones, waterfalls etc. It also has swimming pools and a soft play for wet weather.

The different villages have their own "fun weeks " ,with treasure hunts and raft races and beach sculpture competitions and things all through the summer. Also lovely hotels and pubs which do fab food, plus bistros and chippys etc.

The sail is about 50 mins from Adrossan, and it really adds to the adventure. Getting the car over is quite expensive but apparently the cost is to come down next year. We love the Island, cant wait to go back.

rosy71 Sat 22-Oct-11 08:57:38

We went to Dumfries and Galloway a few years ago and had a lovely time. We stayed in a lodge just outside Dumfries but it wasn't within walking distance of the sea. There seemed to be quite a lot of lodges in in area though. We booked through Hoseasons, so it may be worth having a look at their site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now