Talk

Advanced search

alnwick?

(9 Posts)
frazzled74 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:51:04

i am trying to book a get away family break for oct half term, want to go to alnwick castle , ideally would like to be by sea in alnmouth but i cant find anything in our price range. no car and low budget, will alnwick be nice to wander around, maybe take a trip to coast or boat trip and have a few nice lunches?

Bunbaker Sun 02-Oct-11 18:06:26

Alnwick is fabulous. I will be up that way at half term as well, but staying with MIL. How will you get to Alnwick without a car? I found Alnwick Castle very expensive to visit. The gardens are lovely but probably won't be worth visiting in October, and you don't get to see that many rooms inside the castle. Morpeth is lovely and has a station. There are trains to Alnmouth from Morpeth, but Alnmouth station is some way out of Alnmouth itself (about 1 mile). The Northumberland coast is stunning, but most of it is only easily accessible by car. Seahouses has boat trips to the Farne Islands - highly recommended, but I'm not sure how you would get there.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 02-Oct-11 18:18:13

There's not a lot to do in Alnwick apart from the castle, nothing infact. There are buses which go to the coast though. Alnwick is very small, there's a few shops and a lovely Italian pizza place. I took ds for a weekend, we spent 1 afternoon in the gardens, the tree house is fab, and 1 day at the castle. I wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer.

An0therName Mon 03-Oct-11 13:06:23

there is the world's best 2nd hand book shop Barter books in Alnwick...http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/
you can get a bus from Almouth to Alnwick -assume you will be getting the train there

you can get a joint ticket for the castle and the gardens which is good value - and I think there would be enough in the gardens to see at that time of year

from almouth you can also get the train to berwick - nice day trip and to newcastle which would be fab for a day - seven stories is my favorite place

GooseyLoosey Mon 03-Oct-11 13:35:19

Second the idea of a train to Berwick too where you wander around the city walls.

There's the gardens in Alnwick, but they are really quite expensive (as is the castle).

Boat trips might be a problem with no transport - many go from Seahouses but you would need to find a way of getting there.

Wallace Sat 15-Oct-11 20:05:06

We just had a fantastic few days staying in the cottages at www.linkhousefarm.co.uk/

Wallace Sat 15-Oct-11 20:05:25

Oops just noticed you have no car. Sorry

Moulesfrites Sat 15-Oct-11 20:06:44

Barter books, Barter books, Barter books - amazing second hand book shop - a must visit!!

PieMistress Fri 21-Oct-11 12:38:33

We have booked a cottage in Alnmouth starting this Saturday (annoyingly I didn't realise it was English half term when I booked the week off work!). Will be there with DP & our toddler DS.

We have planned beach trips, bike rides, coastal walks, soft play in Amble or Alnwick if wet. Any other suggestions of things to do most welcome (visit to that book shop is deffo on the list).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now