Talk

Advanced search

isle of wight advice

(4 Posts)
frazzled74 Mon 19-Sep-11 23:31:23

i want to book a holiday here but want advice as to best area to stay, want nice beach, a few shops and restaurants and want to visit a couple of attractions, maybe a stately home and a zoo.we dont have a car and will be travelling from portsmouth. Thanks in advance for advice.

Lizcat Tue 20-Sep-11 13:52:12

If you don't have a car and are coming from Portsmouth Ryde is probably your best bet as the Cat and Hover go into Ryde. It has a wonderful wide sandy beach when the tide is out, there are places to eat and nice shops, there is a good Co-op right in the centre of town. The majority of the Islands buses pass through Ryde, the bus passes are really excellent value and include the open top 'tourist' buses - these go to a wide variety of the attractions. The train line also runs from Ryde to Ventnor and connects into the Steam train line.
There is a Zoo in Sandown accessible on either bus or the train.

frazzled74 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:04:42

oh thankyou, i will definitely book Ryde then. It did seem ideal but i just wanted to hear it from someone who had been, thanks again.

Lizcat Tue 20-Sep-11 16:44:49

I like it so much I live there part of the time now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now