Northumberland - where would be good?

(4 Posts)
Wallace Sat 10-Sep-11 11:50:08

Thinking of going in the October holdays. 2 adults and 4 children ranging from baby to 12.

Would like to be close to the sea - a short walk. And would like to be able to do castles/ruins and stuff. Somewhere near a swimming pool in case the weather is bad.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
kitty1970 Fri 18-May-12 09:08:09

I would highly recommend Islestone cottage Beadnell we have been twice now. You can walk over the field to the beach and to the playground. It is 3 bedrooms one ensuite. There is trampoline,table tennis, bikes lot of games and toys. Very child friendly. There are two pubs and shop and fish and chip shop in Beadnell as well. You can visit Alnwick and lot of places.
http://islestonecottage.wordpress.com/
Regards
Michelle

Bunbaker Sat 19-May-12 21:19:54

Alnmouth is lovely and is reasonably near to interesting places to visit.

This is most of a reply I posted to another poster asking about Northumberland. We go there a lot to visit family and know the area quite well.

There are loads of National Trust properties to visit. Kielder is a bit far from everywhere so I wouldn't recommend staying there unless you are happy to spend a lot of time in the car.

Places to visit:
Bamburgh - castle and Grace Darling museum
Dunstanburgh and Craster
Morpeth
Alnwick and the castle garden (the castle itself is poor valur for money but the garden is fab
Alnmouth
Cragside (the jewel in Northumberland's crown IMO)
Wallington
Housesteads and Vindolanda
Chillingham Castle
Belsay Castle
Warkworth Castle
Druridge Bay or any of the coastline
Woodhorn Colliery
Holy Island (check tide times)
Ingram valley
Ford and Etal
Hatherslaw mill and light railway

If the weather is nice a boat trip to the Farne islands is a must (from Seahouses)

I'm sure I have left loads out, but there is loads and loads to see and do in Northumberland.

I would either stay on the coast or somewhere central between Morpeth and Alnwick if you want to visit all these places.

Apart from the A1 the roads aren't too busy either.

dontgobacktorockville Mon 21-May-12 19:44:15

Low Newton is a lovely village - right by the beach, but only 7 miles from Alnwick, where there's stuff to do - swimming pool, Alnwick Garden, Barter Books & Alnwick Castle. Alnmouth & Bamburgh are also lovely places to stay - great beaches.

If you get a day of horrible weather, a visit to Seven Stories in Newcastle is recommended - depending on the age of your dc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in