Talk

Advanced search

There really isn't any affordable way to spend 3 weeks in Cornwall next summer, is there?

(15 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Fri 02-Sep-11 16:03:57

everything is so expensive!!!

PeanutGallery Fri 02-Sep-11 16:05:23

house swap possibly? Though unlikely in the summer I'd guess.

unless you live in London and can rent out your place for the Games...

allhailtheaubergine Fri 02-Sep-11 16:36:25

House swap is almost a brilliant idea. I have a huge 5 bed house with a maid and a swimming pool and a gym in a hot country, 5 minutes from the beach. But unfortunately I want to be away during Ramadan next year and I don't think many people would want to spend 3 weeks here at the hottest time of year during Ramadan. I know I certainly don't!

CMOTdibbler Fri 02-Sep-11 16:37:44

Camping would be - maybe you could borrow the kit from someone

PeanutGallery Fri 02-Sep-11 16:39:14

Maybe a house swap at different times of year?

So, you find someone with a holiday home in Cornwall who will let you use it for 3 weeks in the summer, and you give them use of your house in hot country for 3 weeks in the winter?

Or do you rent the house out in the winter anyway?

PeanutGallery Fri 02-Sep-11 16:40:08

Sorry, I was assuming the house in the hot country is not where you live. If it's where you live then obv my suggestion doesn't work so well!

allhailtheaubergine Fri 02-Sep-11 16:48:30

No, we live here.

I'm not sure I could camp by myself with 3 children aged 6, 4 and a baby of 5 months, for three weeks. Well, I probably could but I think we'll call that 'plan B' for now!

allhailtheaubergine Fri 02-Sep-11 16:51:00

What I really want is a sweet little cottage in a picturesque little town a short walk from the beach, and for it to cost about £200 a week in high season grin.

I'll keep looking!

ivykaty44 Fri 02-Sep-11 16:54:49

If you have kids of 6 and 4 then camping is surely going to be much much easier or you as they will have lots of other children to play with on the camp site. Just pick a campsite with play area etc and one that attracts dc of the same sort of age - it will free you up a lot.

PeanutGallery Fri 02-Sep-11 17:28:48

Hmm still think the house swap thing is worth a try...

You never know, some people who live in Cornwall might be dying to go somewhere in the summer that isn't overrun with tourists and has 45 degree heat guaranteed sun. Regardless of Ramadan.

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Fri 02-Sep-11 20:30:03

We have just come back from Cornwall. Spent 3 weeks camping with my three who are 9.6, 5 and 4 ( have been going camping since the the middle one was 18 months). The kids have a fantastic time and love the fresh air. The 3 weeks cost us £525 at a site that has a pool and a playpark.

Roseville

mummymeister Fri 02-Sep-11 23:12:57

Other than camping i cannot see any other cottages in cornwall that arent on the condemned list meeting your budget! most decent ones seem to be around 500 - 800 a week. wouldnt waste your time looking you won't find a cottage for £200 a week in school summer hols. maybe 10 years ago but not now i am afraid. go with the camping or the house swap - better idea. if you go for the latter try one of the sustainable type networks locally to where you want to go. they will probably advertise a house swap for nothing for you.

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Mon 05-Sep-11 13:35:01

I'll do a house swap with you, three weeks in a hot country sounds just up my street ( i don't care if its ramadan).

The only thing is I live a little north of Cornwall.. but have you ever considered holidaying in scotland smile

allhailtheaubergine Mon 05-Sep-11 14:42:20

Hmm... My British geography isn't up to much, is Scotland only a little bit north of Cornwall? wink

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:27

Just a tad, but you could be there in about 8 hrs smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now