Talk

Advanced search

Kingsclere, Hampshire - Recommendations where to go and eat

(8 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 25-Aug-11 16:58:00

We're going to Kingsclere tomorrow for a week with our 4 year old and 18 month old. Any recommendations on what to do and where to eat? TIA

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 25-Aug-11 22:26:34

Bump.

Lizcat Fri 26-Aug-11 09:28:35

I hope you get this before you go. Firstly Kingsclere is tiny weeny. There are three pubs in the centre of the village The Crown right in the centre food excellent, The Swan more drinking pub and the George and Horn it is not quite certain what it is. On the main road there is The Star which is part of the Village Inn chain so good value. In Newbury and Basingstoke there are all the usual suspect. Kingsclere has a great butchers shop with lovely local meat.
The main thing to do in Kingsclere is walking, though there is a great park ask anyone the way to the Rec as it is a bit hidden away. My DD at 4 loved to be taken up on Watership Down and told about that rabbits and shown Bigwigs tree.
Close by there is Milestones in Basingstoke living history museum, Finkley Down farm in Andover, Bucklebury Farm Park just the otherside of Thatcham, The living Rainforest the other side of Newbury.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 26-Aug-11 09:57:14

Thanks so much Lizcat.

bluesky Fri 26-Aug-11 10:21:44

Both Basingstoke and Newbury have indoor play centres in case of rain!

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 26-Aug-11 10:35:21

Thanks bluesky. Could come in very handy.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 05-Sep-11 21:16:45

Just to say thanks very much again for your recommendations lizcat. We ate at the Crown which was lovely and Sasso the Italian restaurant. Also tried out the Star Inn which was also very good. We went to the Living Forest and Bucklebury Farm Park where we especially enjoyed the tractor ride to see the deer. We also went to Highclere Castle - will have to start watching Downton Abbey. So we basically did what you recommended and had a good time.

Thanks bluesky but we didn't need the indoor play centres.

Lizcat Mon 05-Sep-11 21:44:54

Glad you had a lovely time, I was married in the Church!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now