Talk

Advanced search

Train fares to London!!!...hahahaha...

(29 Posts)
badmove Mon 22-Aug-11 09:08:15

Have just checked..NE UK station return to London Kings Cross..£600 in November (friday outward..Sunday return)..Am I missing something here???

cjbartlett Mon 22-Aug-11 09:10:10

How many is it for????

yok2t Mon 22-Aug-11 09:11:00

I think the cheaper fares come out closer to the date, at least thats what happened the last time I took a train. That was a while ago though.Maybe they have increased by that much? shock

badmove Mon 22-Aug-11 09:12:57

2 adults, 2 kids (aged 10 and 6)
..is it not cheaper if you buy advance tickets then?

Catsmamma Mon 22-Aug-11 09:13:49

ouch!!

and how many for?? have you a rail card? ...if not get one!

and you will get a better bargain if you wait till 12 weeks before your date, that's when they release the bargain tickets, but you do have to be quick.

we once got two adults and two children from edinburgh to KingsX for £26 with a family rail card.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Aug-11 09:15:09

I always thought advance tickets were meant to be cheaper.

I'm going from Newcastle to Lincolnshire in Nov, return for £60.

Catsmamma Mon 22-Aug-11 09:15:59

badmove DEFINITELY get a rail card and register with the East Coast rail site, they WILL send you and email when the 12 week cheapies are released.

booking too far ahead will only access you the eyewateringly expensive tickets.

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Aug-11 09:16:26

Is that with a family rail card?

Mutt Mon 22-Aug-11 09:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elliott Mon 22-Aug-11 09:19:10

We go newcastle to london every year with two kids- usually costs about £200 or so. With railcard. Friday is most expensive day to travel though.

elliott Mon 22-Aug-11 09:21:24

I don't try to get the cheapest though and sure it cld be done for less.

senua Mon 22-Aug-11 09:24:25

Whenever I look, rail fares are ludicrous. I can't be doing with all this game-playing and timing nonsense. I stick to the car instead - it's usually cheaper, goes door-to-door (with no changes) and leaves precisely the time that I want.

OP, it is worth looking at megabus?

badmove Mon 22-Aug-11 09:34:33

oh couldnt do bus/coach...kids get sick as it is..thanx all..have registerd with EastCoast mainline and will buy a railcard

Mutt Mon 22-Aug-11 09:34:59

senua Mon 22-Aug-11 09:45:30

But that's the point, Mutt. I don't have to plan the car at all. I don't have to worry about getting to the station. I don't have to get there ludicrously early in case I miss it. I don't have to worry about how much luggage I can carry. I can detour en route if I want to. etc. etc.

If The Powers That Be want me to take the train then it has to be easier and cheaper, not more expensive and requiring a PhD to work out the permutations. I remember hearing a while back a study where they phoned up the rail companies to ask them for the best tickets from A to B. Even their own staff couldn't get it right!shock

Mutt Mon 22-Aug-11 10:37:07

Mutt Mon 22-Aug-11 10:53:24

senua Mon 22-Aug-11 10:55:30

I really don't understand the psychology of the rail companies. I buy my groceries every week so I know my local supermarkets inside out, I know what is a bargain and what is a scam. I go back to them because I trust them and their product. Because I use them regularly, I have a relationship.

Every once in a blue moon, I consider taking a train. I do like the OP did - look at their prices and think "HOW MUCH!!!!!!shock", revert to the car and don't even contemplate thinking about the train for a very long time. I have no incentive to build a relationship. I think that their pricing strategies are counter-productive.

notcitrus Mon 22-Aug-11 11:29:47

Going somewhere on a Friday afternoon/evening and returning on Sunday afternoon/evening will always be the most expensive times apart from travel to get to business meetings - everyone wants to go away for the weekend.

Apart from the Railcard, could you travel on different days? Also check to see if two singles is cheaper - it often is.

Pain in the backside I know, but you'll be saving yourself 12 hours of driving.

DottyDot Mon 22-Aug-11 11:30:59

If you have to get the train, you can use Tesco's vouchers via redspottedhanky.com to buy tickets - I know it doesn't make it actually cheaper, but feels more do-able if you've got vouchers!

AuntieMonica Mon 22-Aug-11 11:40:12

have you checked with the trainline?

i get your total fares at £221, without a rail card, with a family railcard it would be £115!

smile

roisin Mon 22-Aug-11 11:47:19

Badmove - depending on when in November, you may be too early.
The cheapest tickets are released c.12 weeks before travel.
Count back 12 weeks on your calendar, then keep checking.
Do get a family railcard if you haven't got one, as that will help.
If you are not going from a mainline station (ie if you have to change at Darlington or Newcastle or something), bung into Trainline the details just from Darlington-to-London, then get your connection tickets separately. Sometimes that works out cheaper.

going Mon 22-Aug-11 11:55:52

Make sure you travel after 9.30 on a weekday, makes a huge difference. A family railcard, as others have said, will really reduce the price.

LawrieMarlow Mon 22-Aug-11 12:01:28

Don't use the trainline as they charge a booking fee. East coast have an online discount for tickets on their line and no booking fee. They sell tickets for other lines too.

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 12:07:50

Some routes are on megatrain which sometime does brilliant bargains

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now