Talk

Advanced search

London and what to do for our anniversary?

(9 Posts)
MonsterBookOfTysons Sat 20-Aug-11 13:06:55

Dh and I are planning on going away for 2 nights/3 days without the dc to London for our wedding anniversary.
We wont have loads of money and are planning on visiting some museums, going to the Tower of London and seeing a west end show.
We were looking at shrek the musical, is it any good?
Also what else would be good to do? We cant do the London eye as dh is scared of heights hmm
TIA smile

MonsterBookOfTysons Sat 20-Aug-11 15:18:08

bump

mummymeister Sat 20-Aug-11 19:18:38

The natural history museum and british museum are all great to wander round in. tate modern too. west end shows tend to be really expensive and the popular ones are difficult to get tickets for. what about a meal say in Covent Garden or the Oxo tower overlooking the river. open top bus ride is also good fun. there are some great walking tours with different themes which can be fun too. tbh if i had a few days without my kids then i would be happy to just go up the road! Have fun.

DilysPrice Sat 20-Aug-11 19:19:49

Wander along the river at sunset holding hands.

And go and see The 39 Steps.

tethersend Sat 20-Aug-11 19:20:23

Stay in bed grin

kayah Sat 20-Aug-11 19:25:02

Have look at this thread:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weekend_breaks/1269757-Ideas-for-something-special-to-do-in-London

I listed quite a lot of things you may want to do

you can also investigate walks in London

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 20-Aug-11 19:27:54

I'd suggest Wizard of Oz or South Pacific over Shrek.

Have a search for recent threads - this subject does come up fairly regularly.

lilolilmanchester Sat 20-Aug-11 19:38:26

I've heard mixed reports about Shrek the Musical - haven't seen it myself but perhaps worth starting a separate thread/doing a MN search as I'm sure I've seen it discussed on here.
I'm not a Londoner but spend some time there on business. The South Bank is lovely just to walk along and there is a lovely and reasonable pizza place at Gabriel's wharf, if it's nice you can sit outside overlooking the Thames and watch the world go by. Covent Garden is worth looking round and free.
Would also suggest starting a separate "free romantic things to do in London" thread...
Where are you staying?

javo Sat 20-Aug-11 19:59:41

Go to tate modern or royal academy. Imperial war museum is also good. The British museum and the V&A are also welll worth a visit. All except the RA are free. Duck Tours are great fun. personally I would prefer to see a play than the musicals - all a bit simplistic for me (I have taken my Dc to most of the musicals over the years - Wicked is our favourite so far - usually cheap tickets to book on lastminute.com the cheap seats are fine as the theatre is well stepped so you can always see)

The riverboat crusies are nice on a good day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now