Talk

Advanced search

If you were going to have a short break on your own in the uk where would you go?

(21 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 15:13:34

I really feel like I could do with a bit of a break. I've just got back from an unrelaxing week away with dd. Dh has gone off on a boys trip to Europe like he does every year. I think when he comes back I'm telling him that I'm going to have a few days away on my own, maybe oct time.

I don't think I want to stop in a hotel, though quite fancy the idea of a spa. Either that or a really nice little cottage where I can snuggle down with a book and some wine. Any recommendations?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Sun 14-Aug-11 15:14:52

Devon, Norfolk or Cambridge. You'd be lucky to get a few days this far into the season though, you'll have to pray that someone's cancelled.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 14-Aug-11 15:16:29

Where are you just now?
How do you plan to travel there?
Do you want nights out or nights in? (it sounds like nights in)
What is your budget? (sorry but it is relevant)

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 15:51:15

Ok, location wise could travel to Yorkshire dales, derbyshire, Norfolk.
Cambridge would be ok as well.

Nights in. I've got a car.

Fuckity, it's oct I'd be wanting to to away in, maybe even early nov.

Budget £300 which for a small cottage in oct hopefully I'd get something.

RufousBartleby Sun 14-Aug-11 15:56:33

The National Trust have some fantastic small cottages (ie.one bedroom) in some beautiful locations that you can hire out for 3 nights at that time of year. The standard of accomodation is really good - we went to one in the cotswolds a couple of years back around halloween and had a really lovely time just doing a few walks, building a fire, reading etc.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 14-Aug-11 16:00:25

I don't know the areas well but I can recommend Sykes Cottages. We have used them a lot and not been disappointed yet with them.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 18:23:33

Thanks, looks like sykes are a bit cheaper than the nt ones so will have a good look through their site now.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 14-Aug-11 18:36:07

What we need is some Mumsnet Retreats - bolt holes we can go to on our own, with hot tubs, pools, beauty treatments, lovely bedrooms to sit and read undisturbed etc but the company of fellow escapees if we want it - no pressure if we don't, etc! grin

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 18:59:27

That sounds fab. I'm now toying with the idea of going to rag dale hall spa for a night.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 14-Aug-11 19:13:32

Would that be long enough?

We have access to a friend's empty flat in a nearby city and now and again, when I need a breather, I go away for the night. I take myself to the cinema, watch exactly what I want to without any criticism or guilt, sleep as long as i want, read in the bath etc.

I need to be away long enough to actually get lonely and to want to go home.

horationelson Sun 14-Aug-11 19:37:44

I fancy here. www.middlepiccadilly.com

mummymeister Sun 14-Aug-11 20:42:48

Have been to both Bath and Cambridge on my own and not felt like nobby no mates and had a nice relaxing time. lovely spa in Bath so any hotel nearby would be good for that.

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 14-Aug-11 20:48:30

Oooh - I'd stay in a nice hotel with a spa. Get room service if you don't fancy eating out on your own. The Varsity in Cambridge looks lovely.

LawrieMarlow Sun 14-Aug-11 20:48:59

I stayed in a converted waiting room for a few nights in March near Matlock. Even went there by train smile Was lovely and might go again some time.

Here it is smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 21:29:21

The varsity in Cambridge looks lovely but a bit more money than I wanted to spend. I think the Cromford place might be a bit too isolated, am leaning towards somewhere with shopping now. Plus someone got shot by a psychopath outside it and I think I might be a bit freaked out.

I,m torn between here;

www.middlethorpe.com/

So nice spa hotel just outside of York or here,

www.ascothouse.com/

so smaller place and no spa but the baths in Harrogate are within walking distance. I've been to York before and like the shopping there. Never been to Harrogate so not really sure how big it is. Both places have a bettys tearoom which is good.

LawrieMarlow Sun 14-Aug-11 21:43:41

Am probably glad I didn't know about the psychopath doing shooting shock

I live just outside York - there is a good amount of shopping here smile

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 14-Aug-11 21:55:28

Cedar Court ? Spa and walking distance to York shopping

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 22:21:33

Wow, cedar court looks perfect. I've just been looking at the reviews on trip advisor and am definitely going to book it. Thanks!

LawrieMarlow Sun 14-Aug-11 22:54:43

I had a treatment in Cedar Court smile Was very nice. And there is a swimming pool with whooshy jets of water.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Aug-11 23:11:28

I like wooshy jets of water. grin

kitya Sun 14-Aug-11 23:16:27

I wouldnt stay in a cottage on my own, I wouldnt beable to sleep. I prefer a hotel with treatments and a bar at hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now