Talk

Advanced search

boutique hôtel cornwall?

(16 Posts)
gapants Wed 10-Aug-11 17:57:00

I am about to have my second baby and as a present to ourselves me and DH want to go away for one night. We want a luxurious room and great breakfast and be in a nice town/village. Anyone got any personal recommendations for the cornwall area?

Many thanks!

toobusytothink Wed 10-Aug-11 18:08:35

Driftwood Hotel, Rosevine, Portscatho, Cornwall ???

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Wed 10-Aug-11 18:21:41

Have a look on Mr and Mrs Smith boutique hotel website, they have a few on there in Cornwall...

NemesisoftheVole Wed 10-Aug-11 18:37:48

Hotel Tresanton. Faaaaab.

Have also heard good things about the Scarlet, but that's in Newquay [grim]

gapants Wed 10-Aug-11 19:37:37

Thanks for the suggestions so far, love the look of all of them, will show DH later.

Any more?

saltyseadog Wed 10-Aug-11 19:39:59

Abode in St.Ives. A boutique B and B rather than hotel, but lovely,lovely,lovely

warthog Wed 10-Aug-11 19:40:19

vote for tresanton here too. child friendly, but luxurious and in st. mawes which is a beautiful little town on the coast with lovely views. just stunning!

otherwise the rosevine nearby is also lovely, but not in a village. wonderful beach just 2 mins walk away though. and a huge trampoline.

can't go wrong with either imo.

Moulesfrites Wed 10-Aug-11 19:42:01

not sure if it is "boutique" or not but we stayed in the Scarlet last summer and it was fabulous!! I was pg with dc1 so we wanted to have a bit of a splurge and it was so worth it, although I couldn't take advantage of the hot tub or extensive wine list unfortunately!

The rooms were beautiful, the views were amazing, fabulous restaurant and spa, the staff were so helpful. It's not actually in Newquay itself, just a short drive away. It is nearer Mawgan Porth - we walked across the beach to the fish and chip shop in Mawgan Porth one night - fab. I know Newquay is grim but tbh the hotel was so fabulous we didn't want to leave!

Sam100 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:43:03

The Scarlet is near Newquay but actually in Mawgan Porth about 8 miles away. It looked very peaceful from where we sat on the beach below - it is on top of the cliffs - sea views but a trek down the hill to the actual beach. I wanted to climb up there and go sit in their outdoor hot tub far away from my maddening crowd!

Sam100 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:44:28

Oh jealous Moules - I just got to admire it from afar! Tried to persuade dh to let me go there on my own for the day but was unsuccessful!

Matsikula Sun 14-Aug-11 23:07:05

The Boskerris just outside St Ives is nice - the decor is a bit stereotypical boutique hotel, but it's really comfortable, the views are fab, and you can easily walk into St Ives via a lovely beach, or get a really teeny tiny train if you are feeling lazy.

jassinkernow Thu 18-Aug-11 13:59:57

Was just coming to recommend the Boskerris - but Matsikula beat me to it! The breakfast was GREAT!

bluesky Thu 18-Aug-11 14:54:56

Scarlet is just amazing, we went last October.

A beautiful B&B just outside St Ives is www.salthousestives.co.uk

Tresanton lovely as you are in St Mawes, so it's nice to wander around.

You'd need a car to go anywhere from Driftwood.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Aug-11 15:05:29

We stayed at Mount Haven in Marazion a few years ago - it was lovely!

daisysue2 Fri 19-Aug-11 02:58:51

The most amazing hotel we stayed in this year in Cornwall, and we stay in about four different hotels each year, was The Llawnroc Hotel in Gorran Haven. It's just opened this year, the style is amazing, just a few minutes walk from the beach and the outside area is great. The food is fab both in the fine dinning restaurant and the bistro. They are doing very good rates, in fact it's probably the cheapest family room in a top rated hotel in Cornwall we have stayed in. We have two children and tend to pay at least £350 for a decent room, this hotel was just £250 for four of us, and they have interconnecting rooms with own bathrooms, ipods, playstations, etc.

I think they will put their prices up soon as they have just opened and it's been now becoming a success. Apparently Brad Pit and family took over the fine dinning room while they were filming in Charlstown, a few miles away, not sure if they were actually staying there.

Food prices were reasonable as well. They have also had a change of chef since opening which apparently made a big difference.

[http://www.thellawnrochotel.co.uk/ The Llawnroc Hotel]

SheilaP Wed 31-Aug-11 20:35:10

The Old Quay House, Fowey is excellent. http://www.theoldquayhouse.com/
It is a boutique hotel and restaurant and would be an ideal child free haven before or after you have the baby.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: