Talk

Advanced search

Japanese restaurant in London

(7 Posts)
crazyspaniel Mon 08-Aug-11 10:07:07

Off to London in a couple of weeks and have been scouring the web looking for a nice Japanese restaurant to take my husband to for lunch. Ideally I'd like to find somewhere with great food and a nice atmosphere, but can't seem to find anything in between the cheap eats / noodle bar / wagamama / yo sushi kind of place and restaurants like Nobu / Zuma / Roka where the bill is likely to come to £130 per head. My budget is more like £50-60 per head. It would need to be in central London (ie. Mayfair / St James's / Soho / Knightsbridge / Kensington). If anyone has any suggestions I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thefoxsbrush Mon 08-Aug-11 17:24:11

You could still do nobu on your budget if you chose wisely. We went a few years ago and bill including a couple of beers and sake was £110

crazyspaniel Mon 08-Aug-11 17:28:55

That's interesting - I'll take another look at the menu. It (Park Lane) does look like a lovely restaurant.

kenobi Mon 08-Aug-11 17:32:45

Hello! Sushi Hiroba is excellent www.sushihiroba.co.uk/ it's a robata so you spend as much/little as you want. As is Kulu Kulu in Cov Garden and South Ken (Thurloe St) kulukulu.co.uk/ .

Yumenoki is a brisk walk from South Ken tube and is very excellent www.yumenoki.co.uk/ Sushinho on King's Road is Japanese/Brazilian fusion which sounds odd until you realise that Brazil has the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan, and its last president was called. Anyway, it's very good. www.sushinho.com/

If you give me an exact location I can keep going!

Karbea Mon 08-Aug-11 21:12:17

Zuma is lovely and I would say as long as you don't go crazy on alcohol you could defo eat there.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 08-Aug-11 21:16:38

tsunami in clapham is lovely, and they have a branch in town now as well.

exexpat Mon 08-Aug-11 21:30:17

Toku restaurant in Piccadilly/Regents Street sounds like it might fit the bill for you - proper Japanese food, but not budget-breaking. I lived in Japan for years, and it's the place I always go back to if I'm in central London.

It's connected to the Japan Centre (supermarket/bookstore/travel agency), at least half the customers have been Japanese every time I have been in there, and a lot of the staff are Japanese too, which is quite rare except for the really upmarket Japanese places in London. They do the whole range of Japanese food from sushi and noodles to tempura, teriyaki etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now