Talk

Advanced search

Beaches in north devon?

(7 Posts)
suecy Mon 08-Aug-11 08:58:12

We've got a week near Coombe Martin starting this Sat. I've read that it's beach isnt good and we are prepared to drive half an hour, but want to avoid the hotspots of woolcaombe, croyde, ilfracombe.

We're after decent surf, rockpools and hopefully not too big a crowd. Hoping there may be a few hidden gems out there we can seek out!

Any ideas gratefully received!!

TooManyBlossoms Mon 08-Aug-11 09:19:16

I know you said to avoid Ilfracombe, but when we were down there we loved the Tunnels beach here - it's rockpool heaven and has a lovely natural swimming pool if you've got young kids with you.

pipsy76 Mon 08-Aug-11 20:51:12

putsborough

Mollymax Mon 08-Aug-11 21:06:44

We are at woolacombe at the moment. Woolacombe sands beach gets busy, but there are a couple of other beaches along a bit that do not get as busy, good rock pools etc. They are not tended by lifeguards though.
Bring some warm clothes. It is cold here at the moment, very windy, but has been O.K

madeupstuff Mon 08-Aug-11 21:27:15

School holidays. Saturday. North Devon. Beach with some surf and rockpools. I don't think there's any chance of finding one that isn't busy.

Best chance would be as early in the morning as you can manage. (and get the tide times in advance)

Actually, the best chance would be to go there sometime last April/May - I hear that the weather was lovely.

(grew up a bit further down the coast from there and feel able to contribute)

podgegl20 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:29:39

I would second the recommendation for Putsborough. We went last week, it was busy but there was still plenty of space for us.

lobsters Wed 10-Aug-11 20:28:31

Although Woolacombe is busy, the beach is enormous so if you walk down is slightly you will have plenty of room. Croyde is also beautiful. Saunton sands is just a little bit down the road, expensive car park, but big beautiful beach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now