Talk

Advanced search

Any amateur travel agents like to help me by any chance? Or professional of course!

(18 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 06-Aug-11 17:41:27

the dcs and I would like to have a few days away at the coast with Sil. We don't mind if we stay in a caravan or hotel etc as long as it's a good standard. We would like to go to Dorset, near Chisel beach to do crabbing, sandcastle building etc. But will consider other areas as long as drive is no more than 3 hours from M25 J24. I went to Southwold last month for the weekend and would be more than happy to go back there but though Dorset might be a tad less expensive (Southwold was silly money for eating out. I don't mind paying good money for good food but once or twice I felt I was being taken for a ride). Dcs are 10 & 6.

Anything to suggest anyone? We are looking to go for 3/4 days week starting august 29th.

TIA

mckenzie Sat 06-Aug-11 20:38:42

Bump

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 09:15:08

It's not quite Chesil but Christchurch harbour hotel is very nice and excellently placed for crabbing - mudeford quay - and sandcastle building on beautiful Avon beach. There is also a caravan park which fronts on to the beach with some very nice looking units. Will try to find its name.
Hope that helps.

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 09:22:43

It's called Sandhills

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Aug-11 09:26:57

Dorset coast very popular, not sure if you will get anywhere for that week. Google on Burton Bradstock and Abbotsbury, we have had good times on Chesil from there.

noyouhavehadawee Sun 07-Aug-11 16:40:10

Pinewoods in wells next the sea north norfolk - highly reommend right on beach and ecellent for crabbing.

mckenzie Sun 07-Aug-11 17:25:32

thanks very much all. Pinewoods is full but Sandhills has a caravan available (we all like the idea of a caravan). Will there be crabbing on the beach by Sandhills cheer up, do you know?

CMOTdibbler Sun 07-Aug-11 17:27:51

If you camp, we've just been camping (not in a static caravan) at Haven Littlesea, and it was great. We could see chesil from the tent, and there was a bus from the site direct to Weymouth beach

mckenzie Sun 07-Aug-11 17:33:35

I'd love to CMOT but no. We do own a small tent that we had for Beavers Family camp but we are not properly kitted out for camping and SIL is not keen.

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 19:40:34

www.visitdorsetandhampshire.co.uk/things-to-do/crab-fishing-in-mudeford-quay-christchurch-dorset/

There is definitely crabbing on Mudeford Quay - about 5 mins from Sandhills.

I've wanted to go ever since we walked passed it a couple of years ago when we were staying at Christchurch harbour. So if you do go, please let us know what it's like smile

mckenzie Sun 07-Aug-11 21:17:54

Thanks cheerup. I'm going to book first thing tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed that we keep having some sunny days.

mckenzie Mon 08-Aug-11 09:13:24

the caravan is no longer available! Gutted i didn't book last night. What a plunker sad. All they have left is a one bed apartment but that might be a squash huh?

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 09:32:42

Oh no Mckenzie. I feel your pain...

Do you have to go that particular week? Sometimes Sept weather is just as nice and everywhere is more available and of course cheaper.

mckenzie Mon 08-Aug-11 09:51:47

DCs are back at school on the 7th so I'm now looking at the first weekend in september but still nothing available.

mckenzie Tue 09-Aug-11 14:33:23

ok, now i'm spoilt for choice and i don't know what to do! I've found a different caravan park company who have three sites in Dorst all with availability but I've also found that Pinewood in Norfolk have one lodge available for the week 19th August and a caravan available for the weekend 2/9.
Now, too much choice and Ic ant flipping decide what to do!! So, Dorset or Norfolk people please? What's it to be?

mckenzie Tue 09-Aug-11 15:39:48

I got impatient! I've booked Pinewoods now - Norfolk won smile

mckenzie Tue 09-Aug-11 16:40:03

Cancel that last past. I was overruled and Dorset won instead. Thanks everyone for all your help. We are off to Westbay in Dorset.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 09-Aug-11 18:11:55

You should have gone to Pinewoods! Just kidding i have no idea about dorset but do feed back...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now