Talk

Advanced search

Northumberland or Yorkshire?

(12 Posts)
ChocChipWine Tue 02-Aug-11 14:31:27

Advice needed please. We're planning a week away at the beginning of September to one of the above. Driving from Scotland. Me, DH, DS (4) and DD (7m). Does anyone have any recommendations that would help us choose. We'll be self catering - maybe somewhere that has a swimming pool.

Any ideas welcome, never been to Yorkshire and it is huge - is the dales/moors/coast better and what are the towns like.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you smile

orienteerer Tue 02-Aug-11 18:06:27

I'd go to Northumberlandgrin.

OwlMother Tue 02-Aug-11 18:09:49

We love northumberland, go for a week each year. It's always the kid's favourite holiday, even over foreign trips. We are just north of Edinburgh and it is a really easy drive.

We always stay in cottages around Alnmouth, don't know about anywhere with pools, sorry. My 3 dc always end up in the sea!

pointydog Tue 02-Aug-11 18:26:32

I'd choose northumberland. Lovely short drive.

Do not underestimate how long it takes to get to the bloody yorkshire coast. You whizz down to the edge of torkshire and it takes FOREVER to drive across it to the coast. We were nearish to scarborough. V nice s-c cottage on small complex with small indoor pool on site. I can look up the name if you want. Was a few years ago.

We stayed in Alnmouth. Through Northumbria Cottages. It's a great wee place. Small, good for kids, few gifty/seaside shops, somewherer to get an ice cream, right on the beach. You just walk to it. Good range of places to eat considering it's such a small place. We were in a cottage right in the centre so could walk about, day at beach, eat etc.

hermioneweasley Tue 02-Aug-11 18:31:25

Must reassert local pride and vote Yorkshire. Great mix of gorgeous scenery and fabulous cities with great museums and sites. This time of year, I'd do Yorkshire moors - maybe somewhere like helmsley that puts you within reach of coast, but also York and Leeds

orienteerer Tue 02-Aug-11 18:36:11

Not sure these would be my choice but they do have an indoor pool.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 02-Aug-11 18:40:04

we went to little edstone in june
it was ace. lots to do - whitby, york, shopping in harrogate, n. york moors. we're thinking about going again in February.

orienteerer Tue 02-Aug-11 18:41:45

If you search around you will find a number of cottages that offer entry (for a fee) to the Ocean Club in Seahouses, it's on a caravan site. Alnwick Castle Cottages do.

pointydog Tue 02-Aug-11 20:05:43

Yorkshire is lovely but it just adds hours on to your journey from scotland.

Filey nice. Helmsley v chi chi, innit. Good castle.

pointydog Tue 02-Aug-11 20:06:19

And I would always, always do the seaside

ChocChipWine Tue 02-Aug-11 22:21:40

Thanks so much. My nana was from Northumberland and I spent many summers at Alnmouth. Glad to hear it is still worth visiting. It's much nearer too, we'll save Yorkshire for next year then.

Off to trawl for some accommodation...

Thanks!

pointydog Wed 03-Aug-11 09:23:12

nice playpark right near the sea too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now