Talk

Advanced search

First family holiday in Bristol. Help please!

(8 Posts)
joguialax Sat 30-Jul-11 00:11:17

Any recommendations for a B&B or hotel in Bristol?, Ideas for a days out Bristol or anywhere that is near this for 5 & 3 yrs old?
Thanks in advance.

somedayillbesaturdaynite Sat 30-Jul-11 00:39:34

there's a great premier inn in the centre called llandoger trow plus loads of other chain hotels, also lots to do, the balloon fiesta is in 2 weeks, Mshed has just opened and is free, it's a hands-on museum/exploratory great for that age group. on clifton downs (short bus ride from the centre) there is a zoo and caves to explore, absolutely shed loads tbh smile

somedayillbesaturdaynite Sat 30-Jul-11 00:41:34

pm me if you want any other ideas or more of a break on the outskirts

mummymeister Sun 31-Jul-11 17:02:52

@Bristol is a fantastic and fun for kids hands on museum. My kids love it and there is plenty for the adults as well. the restaurant is Ok as long as you avoid peak times otherwise it is just too small. also have a look around the SS Great Britain. sounds boring but they don't really sell it well enough imo. Finally walk across brunels bridge - must have good head for heights.

joguialax Mon 01-Aug-11 12:18:01

Thanks, thanks, thanks!! thats really helpfull smile
We're thinking in the zoo, balloon fiesta & aquarium. I am looking forward to it, even if it rains!! smile

smellimelli Mon 01-Aug-11 20:53:18

The Ibis in Bristol is quite cheap to stay in and near the waterfront (and walk able to the centre/ @Bristol/ SS Gt Britain).

I agree @Bristol is fab, as are your other ideas. There's also a pottery painting place on Whiteladies Rd that kids love if it rains. Also if the weather is bad an out of town trip to Cribbs Causeway- The Mall- they have a soft play/ creche area which I haven't used but have been told is good by friends. The suspension bridge is a must too.

If you like chinese food you must try "Cosmo" it's on the Triangle and is an all you can eat buffet that is out of this world! Book in advance though (can do this online-they have a website)!

Have fun!

PhylisStein Mon 01-Aug-11 20:59:49

The Art Gallery and Museum is free and fab.
SS Great Britain is expensive but worth every penny.
The Zoo is pricey and the cafe is atrocious - take a picnic!
Balloon Fiesta is superdooper
Clifton Suspension Bridge is worth a look.
Don't know about hotels though - I only live 45 mins away!

somedayillbesaturdaynite Wed 03-Aug-11 01:02:51

i would say see what offers are on in central bristol regarding hotels. they usually provide a special bus service from the centre to the balloon fiesta, and the zoo/downs/suspension bridge are all nest to each other in clifton, a 5min bus journey (probably quite a long walk for a 3 & 5yo plus lots of busy roads to cross). if your budget can stretch there are some beautiful hotels in clifton too but not so pocket-friendly. the balloon fiesta is from thurs 11th to sun 14th august see www.bristolballoonfiesta.co.uk

even if it rains there are plenty of indoor attractions, all those already mentioned plus consider a glass-topped ferry boat tour of the harbourside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now