Talk

Advanced search

lovely uk holiday destinations

(10 Posts)
frazzled74 Thu 28-Jul-11 23:29:13

can i have some ideas for a uk cottage holiday please? easy reach from london by public transport(as in 1-2 trains ,no more than 4.5 hrs), relaxing, close to sea, nice scenery, enough to keep dcs entertained (5 and 8)and a few shops and restaurants nearby.thankyou in advance.

Kladdkaka Fri 29-Jul-11 14:46:11

Tenby in Pembrokeshire is my favourite holiday destination in the whole world. There are direct trains from London Paddington. We normally stay here: http://www.lindholmehouse.co.uk/index.html but there are loads of other places.

Georgelassosthemoon Sat 30-Jul-11 09:23:57

I second Tenby, it's got everything. My favourite place too.

HoneyPablo Sat 30-Jul-11 09:27:24

South Norfolk coast.

PuppyMonkey Sat 30-Jul-11 09:28:03

Lindisfarne.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 30-Jul-11 09:38:39

Agree, Tenby is lovely. But not so great if it rains
We went to N.Yorks this year and it was fantastic. Lovely beaches, easy access to York for all the museums and sights, lovely shopping in Harrogate and York too. The cottage we stayed in was a bit isolated for public transport, but if you found somewhere nearer Malton then you've Scarborough 20mins by train in one direction if it's dry, and 30 mins to York in the wet.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 30-Jul-11 09:45:44

this one would be a great location for a car free holiday. The buses in the area are good too. I almost forgot to mention Flamingoland is at Malton, which the dcs loved.

frazzled74 Sat 30-Jul-11 18:54:04

thanks am going to have a look at all suggestions.Like the sound of Malton.

javo Sun 31-Jul-11 11:28:57

What about Brighton - only 1 hour on the train. I used to take my Dc when little ( Lived in London and had no car)and rented a 1 bed flat just off the front. The Dc loved it and really felt they had gone away on holiday. Plenty to do - beach, pier, 3 playparks with paddling pools or sprinklers along the front, an electric train along the front, lots of little shops in the arches on the front,small museums, regular buses out to the South Downs for walks, picnics and kite flying(devils dyke, ditchling beacon ), nice cafes etc. Cinema and bowling at the marina for rainy days.

cer100 Sun 31-Jul-11 12:19:52

You can get a long way in 4.5hrs by train! What about East Yorkshire it is about 3hrs - Beverley is wonderful and there is just soooo much to do. These cottages are on a farm but only 2 miles from beverley and on a bus route broadgatefarmcottages.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now